Immunocytochemical Analysis of Platinum-DNA Adducts
Interaction with DNA is supposed to play an essential role in the cytostatic effects of platinum anti-tumor drugs like cisplatin (cisDDP) and carboplatin (CBDCA). Clinical resistance to cisplatin and carboplatin, both primary and acquired, might be related to decreased levels of DNA adduct formation and/or increased capacities to repair these adducts. We have studied DNA adduction by cisplatin and carboplatin at the level of the single cell. In the last decade, methods have been developed for the immunocytochemical analysis of DNA modifications induced by a variety of carcinogens, anti-cancer drugs and radiation [see Den Engelse et al., 1990 for review].
KeywordsNuclear Staining Adduct Formation Buccal Cell Adduct Level Renal Corpuscle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fichtinger-Schepman, A.M.J., van Oosterom, A.T., Lohman, P.H. M. and Berends, F. (1987) cis-Diamminedichloroplatinum(II)-induced DNA adducts in peripheral leukocytes from seven cancer patients: quantitative immunochemical detection of the adduct induction and removal after a single dose of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II). Cancer Res., 47, 3000–3004.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gill, I., Muggia, F.M., Terheggen, P., Michael, C, Parker, R.J., Kortes, V., Grunberg, S., Christian, M.C., Reed, E. and den Engelse, L. (1991) Dose-escalation study of carboplatin (day 1) and cisplatin (day 3): Tolerance and relation to leukocyte and buccal cell platinum-DNA adducts. Annals Oncol., in press.Google Scholar
- 4.Knox, R.J., Friedlos, F., Lydall, D.A. and Roberts, J.J. (1986) Mechanism of cytotoxicity of anticancer platinum drugs: evidence that cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) and cis-diammine-(1,1-cyclobutanedicarboxylato)platinum(II) differ only in the kinetics of their interaction with DNA. Cancer Res., 46, 1972–1979.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Terheggen, P.M.A.B. (1989) Interaction of cisplatin and carboplatin with cellular DNA. Thesis, Leiden.Google Scholar
- 10.Terheggen, P.M.A.B., Begg, A.C, Emondt, J.Y., Dubbelman, R., Floot, B.G.J. and den Engelse, L. (1991) Formation of interaction products of carboplatin with DNA in vitro and in cancer patients. Br. J. Cancer, 63, in press.Google Scholar
- 11.Terheggen, P.M.A.B., Begg, A.C, Floot, B.G.J., Emondt, J. and den Engelse, L. (1988a). Visualization of cisplatin-DNA and carboplatin-DNA adducts in tissues and cultured cells. In: Proc. 5th. Int. Symp. on Platinum and Other Metal Coordination Compounds in Cancer Chemotherapy, Padua, Italy, 1987, Nicolini, M. (ed.), Martinus Nijhoff, Boston, pp. 139–143.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Terheggen, P.M.A.B., Dijkman, R., Begg, A.C, Dubbelman, R., Floot, B.G.J., Hart, A.A.M. and den Engelse, L. (1988) Monitoring of interaction products of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) and cis-diammine(1,1-cyclobutanedicarboxylato) platinum(II) with DNA in cells from platinum-treated cancer patients. Cancer Res., 48, 5597–5603.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Terheggen, P.M.A.B., Emondt, J.Y., Floot, B.G.J., Dijkman, R., Schrier, P.I., den Engelse, L. and Begg, A.C. (1990) Correlation between cell killing by cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) in six mammalian cell lines and binding of a cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II)-DNA antiserum. Cancer Res., 50, 3556–3561.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Terheggen, P.M.A.B., Floot, B.G.J., Scherer, E., Begg, A.C, Fichtinger-Schepman, A.M.J. and den Engelse, L. (1987) Immunocytochemical detection of interaction products of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) and cis-diammine(1,1-cyclobutanedicarboxylato)platinum(II) with DNA in rodent tissue sections. Cancer Res., 47, 6719–6725.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Terheggen, P., Reed, E., Michael, C, Begg, A., Muggia, F. and den Engelse, L. (1990) Platinum-DNA binding in patients treated with cisplatin and carboplatin. Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res., 31, 334.Google Scholar
- 16.Van Schooten, F.J., Hillebrand, M.J.X., Scherer, E., den Engelse, L. and Kriek, E. (1991) Immunocytochemical visualization of DNA adducts in mouse tissues and human white blood cells following treatment with benzo[a]pyrene or its diol epoxide. A guantitative approach. Carcinogenesis, 12, 427–433.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar