Enhanced Metal/Polymer Adhesion by Ion Assisted Deposition
Significant improvements in the adhesion of several metals to polymers have been achieved through the ion beam assisted deposition (IBAD) technique. Films of silver, gold, and copper were deposited via IBAD onto poly(tetrafluoroethylene) (PTFE) substrates. These films are substantially more adherent than similar non-IBAD coatings. Film characterization was performed with conventional pull tests, selective abrasion tests, optical microscopy, ESCA, RBS, and static SIMS. Evidence is given for the “smearing” of the normally sharp metal/polymer interface by the ion beam recoil events. Further analysis, however, suggests that the improved adhesion may result from an increase in the shear strength of the PTFE surface layers due to the promotion of crosslinking.
KeywordsRutherford Backscatter Spectroscopy Gate Valve Rutherford Backscatter Spectroscopy Spectrum PTFE Substrate Practical Adhesion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chin-An Chang, J.E.E. Baglin, A.G. Schrott, and K.C. Lin, Appl. Phys. Lett., 51(2), 13 July, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.J.E.E. Baglin and G.J. Clark, Nucl. Instrum. Methods, B7/8, 881 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Chin-An Chang, Appl. Phys. Lett., 51(16), 19 October, 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.W.J. van Ooij and M.M. Nindi, Service Report on SIMS of Metal/PTFE, Polycarbonate, and Polyimide Samples, 1989.Google Scholar
- 15.B. Wasserman, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985.Google Scholar
- 16.T. Venkatesan, L. Calcagno, B.S. Elman, and G. Foti, in “Ion Beam Modification of Insulators,” P. Mazzoldi and G.W. Arnold, editors, p.301, Elsevier, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 17.B.S. Elman, G. F. Blackburn, M.K. Thakur, D.J. Sandman, L.A. Samuelson, and D.G. Kenneson, Nucl. Instrum. Methods, B19/20, 872 (1987).Google Scholar
- 18.I.H. Loh, R.W. Oliver, and P. Sioshansi, Nucl. Instrum. Methods, B34, 337 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.R.A. Moody, P.H. Lu, and I.H. Loh, Technical Reports for Phase II DOE Contract # DE-AC02-87ER80450 entitled “Electrically Conductive Polymers by Ion Implantation,” 1989.Google Scholar
- 20.Unpublished Spire results of ion beam processes on polycarbonate, PTFE, and polyimide, 1989-1990.Google Scholar
- 21.L. Torrisi, L. Calcagno, and A.M. Foti, Nucl. Instrum. Methods, B32, 142 (1987).Google Scholar