Metallization of Plastics Via Low Temperature Arc Vapor Deposition (LTAVD)
Low temperature arc vapor deposition (LTAVD) is a new addition to the field of cathodic arc plasma physical vapor deposition processes. Almost any metal, alloy, and intermetallic compound as well as many ceramics and fully reacted metals can be deposited utilizing LTAVD. With its ability to deposit coatings at room temperature, LTAVD has been utilized on a commercial basis in applying coatings to plastics to address electrical, optical, thermal, corrosion/oxidation, mechanical and decorative requirements. Plastics which have been coated include: polyimide, polyetherimide, fluorocarbons (Teflon), ABS, polyurethane, polypropylene, polyethylene, PVC, polyester, nylon, phenolics, polycarbonate, epoxies and other plastics and composites. LTAVD is a dry process and hence is environmentally safe.
KeywordsAdhesion Strength Polyurethane Foam Coating Adhesion Tantalum Carbide Cathodic Erosion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.L. Mittal and J.R. Susko, Eds, “Metallized Plastics 1:Fundamental and Applied Aspects”, Plenum Press, New York 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Pinkhasov, U.S. Patent 4,351,855, Sept. 28, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.W.M. de Cock and J.E. Daalder, Proc. VII Intl. Symp. on Discharges and Electrical Insulation, Novosibirsk, USSR, 288-292 (1976).Google Scholar
- 10.V.M. Lunev, V.D. Orcharvenko and V.M. Khoroshikh, Sov. Phys.-Tech. Phys. 22, 858 (1977).Google Scholar
- 16.U. Helmersson, B.O. Johansson and J.-E. Sundgren, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A3, 308, (1985).Google Scholar
- 18.P.A. Lindfors, Proc. Conf. on the Application of Ion plating and Implanation to Materials, 3–5 June, 1985, Atlanta, Georgia, R.F. Hochman, Ed. ASM, pl61.Google Scholar
- 19.I.I. Aksenov, V.A. Belous, V.G. Padalka, and V.M. Khoroshikh, Sov. J. Plasma Phys., 4, 425 (1978).Google Scholar
- 20.H. Randhawa, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A7, 2346 (1989).Google Scholar
- 21.P.J. Martin, R.P. Netterfield and T.J. Kinder, paper presented at Intl. Conf. on Metallurgical Coatings/Intl. Conf. on Thin Films, San Diego, California, 1989.Google Scholar