Anticipatory Systems in Retrospect and Prospect
I have come to believe that an understanding of anticipatory systems is crucial, not only for biology, but also for any sphere in which decision making based on planning is involved. These are systems which contain predictive models of themselves and their environment, and employ these models to control their present activities.
KeywordsPlanning Process Effector System Biological Organization External Observer Infinite Regress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Douglas, J. H. Eulogy for R. M. Hutchins. Center Magazine, 1977, 10 (5), 23–25.Google Scholar
- Hutchins, R. M. Commencement address. University of Chicago, 1931.Google Scholar
- Hutchins, R. M. Commencement address. University of Chicago, 1933.Google Scholar
- Hutchins, R. M. The intellectual community. Center Magazine, 1977, 10 (11), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Science and ethics. Center occasional paper. Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions, 1953.Google Scholar
- Weyl, H. Philosophy of mathematics and natural science. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1949, pp. 209–210.Google Scholar