In this paper we present an algorithm for determining the rotational symmetries of polyhedral objects in O(m(n + m + h)) time and O(n + m + h) space where n, m and h represent the number of vertices, edges and faces of the object, respectively. In the case of objects consisting of c disjoint components the time complexity increases to O(m(cn + m + h)). The symmetry information detected by our algorithm can be utilized for various purposes in artificial intelligence, such as robotics, assembly planning and machine vision.
KeywordsRotational Symmetry Bijective Mapping Initial Vertex Neighboring Vertex Neighbor List
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Chiyokura, Solid modelling with Designbase: theory and implementation, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1988.Google Scholar
- L. De Floriani and E. Bruzzone, Decomposing a solid object into elementary features, in Recent issues in pattern analysis and recognition (V. Cantoni et al., Eds.), pp. 226-237, Springer-Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- T. Glauser, E. Gmür, X. Y. Jiang and H. Bunke, Deductive generation of vision representations from CAD-models, in Proc. of 6th Scand. Conf. on Image Analysis, Oulu, Finland, 1989, pp. 645-651.Google Scholar
- X. Y. Jiang and H. Bunke, Recognizing 3-D objects in needle maps, in Proc. of 10th Int. Conf on Pattern Recognition, Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1990, pp. 237-239.Google Scholar
- X. Y. Jiang and H. Bunke, Optimal Vertex Ordering of a Graph and its Application to Symmetry Detection, in Proc. of 17th Int. Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, Richterheim Fischbachau, Germany, 1991.Google Scholar
- R. J. Popplestone, Y. Liu and R. Weiss, A group theoretic approach to assembly planning, AI magazine, 11, No. 1, 1990, 82–97.Google Scholar
- B. Radig and C. Schlieder, RS-automorphisms and symmetrical objects, in Proc. of 7th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Montreal, Canada, 1984, pp. 1138-1140.Google Scholar
- M. Shneier, A compact relational structure representation, in Proc. of 6th IJCAI, Tokyo, Japan, 1979, pp. 818-826.Google Scholar
- J. D. Wolter, R. A. Volz and T. C. Woo, Automatic generation of gripping positions, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, February, 1984.Google Scholar