X-Ray Diffraction Study of Residual Stresses in Metal Matrix Composite-Jacketed Steel Cylinders Subjected to Internal Pressure
The study of aluminum/silicon carbide metal matrix composite (MMC)-jacketed steel structural components was made because of their light weight and high stiffness. Steel ‘liner’ cylinders were wrapped with MMC ‘jackets’ with all-hoop layup and were put through various degrees of hydraulic autofrettage and thermal soak. In this paper, we summarize the results from our x-ray diffraction residual stress measurements on a number of cylinders using a position-sensitive scintillation detection (PSSD) system. Our experimental results are compared with theoretical predictions from a model based on the elastic-plastic analysis of a thick cylinder subjected to internal pressure. Interpretation of the interference effect caused by the MMC jacket on the steel liner is discussed.
KeywordsResidual Stress Metal Matrix Composite Steel Cylinder Steel Liner Aluminum Alloy Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. G. Hasenbein, E. Hyland, and G. Cunningham, Laboratory Tests of Metal Matrix Composite-Jacketed Cylinders, U. S. Army ARDEC Technical Report, Benet Laboratories, Watervliet, NY, in press.Google Scholar
- 2.C. O. Ruud, P. S. DiMascio, and D. J. Snoha, A Miniature Instrument for Residual Stress Measurement, in: “Advances in X-Ray Analysis,” Plenum Press, New York (1974), p. 27.Google Scholar
- 3.S. L. Lee, M. Doxbeck, and G. Capsimalis, Experimental Methods in Residual Stress Measurement Using a Position-Sensitive Scintillation Detection System, U. S. Army ARDEC Technical Report, Benet Laboratories, Watervliet, NY, in press.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Pintschovius, E. Macherauch, and B. Scholtes, Determination of Residual Stresses in Autofrettaged Steel Tubes by Neutron and X-Ray Diffraction, in: “Residual Stresses in Science and Technology,” Vol. 1, DGM Informationsgesellschaft mbH, Federal Republic of Germany (1987), pp. 159-165.Google Scholar
- 5.V. C. D. Dawson and J. W. Jackson, Investigation of the Relaxation of Residual Stresses in Autofrettaged Cylinders, Journal of Basic Engineering, March 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.P. C. T. Chen, Elastic-Plastic Analysis of a Thick-Walled Composite Tube Subjected to Internal Pressure, U. S. Army ARDEC Technical Report ARCCB-TR-89027, Benet Laboratories, Watervliet, NY, October 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.T. E. Davidson, D. P. Kendall, and A. N. Reiner, Residual Stresses in Thick-Walled Cylinders Resulting from Mechanically Induced Overstrain, Experimental Mechanics, November 1963.Google Scholar