Vitreous Domains in an Aqueous Ribose Solution
Aqueous solutions containing d-ribose demonstrate the ability to form more than one vitreous domain when exposed to low temperatures. Differential scanning calorimetry revealed two glass transitions (at Tgs of −63 and −43°C) upon cooling and warming at a constant rate of 5°C·min−1. The bulk water of the solution crystallizes at −18°C (Tc). Heat capacity and enthalpy changes, and the derivatives for each thermal event, are calculated. Relaxation studies on the observed Tgs produced anticipated overshoots characteristic of the presence of glassy states.
KeywordsGlass Transition Differential Scanning Calorimetric Glassy State Subzero Temperature Heat Flow Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.F. Franks, The properties of aqueous solutions at subzero temperatures, in: “Water: A Comprehensive Treatise,” F. Franks, ed., Vol. 7, Plenum Press, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Suggett, Polysaccharides, in: “Water: A Comprehensive Treatise,” F. Franks, ed., Vol. 4, Plenum Press, New York (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.B. Luyet and D. Rasmussen, Study by differential thermal analysis of the temperatures of instability of rapidly cooled solutions of glycerol, ethylene glycol, sucrose and glucose, Biodynamica 10:167 (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Rasmussen and B. Luyet, Complementary study of some nonequilibrium phase transitions in frozen solutions of glycerol, ethylene glycol, glucose, and sucrose, Biodynamica 10:319 (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.D.R. MacFarlane, Anomalous glass transitions in aqueous propylene glycol solutions, Cryo-Lett. 6:313 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.R. Vassoille, A. El Hachadi, and G. Vigier, Study by means of internal friction measurements of the vitreous transition in aqueous 1,2-propanediol solution, Cryo-Lett. 7:305 (1985).Google Scholar
- 17.C.A. Angell and J.C. Tucker, Heat capacity changes in glass-forming aqueous solutions and the glass transition in vitreous water, J. Phys. Chem. 84:762 (1980).Google Scholar
- 21.R. Vassoille, G. Vigier, A. El Hachadi, G. Thollet, and J. Perez, Vitreous state decomposition study in some aqueous polyalcohol solutions, J. Physique Cl:471 (1987).Google Scholar
- 22.D.S. Reid, A.T. Foin, and C.A. Lern, The effect of solutes on the temperature of heterogeneous nucleation of ice from aqueous solution, Cryo-Lett. 6:81 (1985).Google Scholar