Capacitance-Voltage Profiling of Multilayer Semiconductor Structures
C-V profiling has traditionally found its importance in the determination of semiconductor doping profiles and, more recently, to provide estimates of heterojunction band offsets . It has been recognised  that a profile of the free electron concentration n(x) is obtained from C-V techniques rather than that of the doping profile Nd(x). These are not necessarily the same even for the case of very shallow donors. Indeed, they will be different whenever the measured electron concentration is not uniform. It has also been shown  that C-V profiling viewed as a measurement of the free carrier concentration is itself inexact if n(x) varies appreciably over a distance less than a Debye length. The measured apparent carrier concentration ñ(x) then differs from both n(x) and Nd(x). There is also still some uncertainty in the use of C-V profiling to determine heterojunction band offsets due to the effects of a finite donor depth  and of interfacial charge distributions .
KeywordsDeep Level Transient Spectroscopy Interface Charge Single Interface Free Electron Concentration Double Heterostructures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kennedy D.P., Murley P.C., and Kleinfelder W. (1968), IBM J. Res. Dev. 12, 299.Google Scholar
- Johnson W.C. and Panousis P.T. (1971), IEEE Trans. Electron. Dev ED-18, 65.Google Scholar
- Ohno H., Akatsu Y., Hashiyume T., Hasegawa H., Sano N., Kato H., Nakayama M., (1985), J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B3 (4), 943.Google Scholar
- Sermage B., Pereira M.F., Alexandre F., Beerens J. Azouay R., Kobayashi N., (1987), Gallium Arsenide and Related Compounds, Heraklion.Google Scholar
- Sermage B., Alexandre F., Lievin J.L., Azoulay R., El Kaim M, Le Person H., and MarzinJ.Y., (1985), GalliumArsenideandRelated Compounds, Hilger, 345.Google Scholar
- Many A., Goldstein Y., Grover N.R., (1971), Semiconductor Surfaces, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 259.Google Scholar
- Rimmer J.S, Hawkins I.D., Hamilton B, Peaker A.R., (1989), “III–V Heterostructures for Electronic/Photonic Devices”, MRS Proceedings Vol. 145, 75.Google Scholar