Methionine Enkephalin: Clinical Pharmacology
Earlier studies indicated that methionine enkephalin infusions (1,000 micrograms) in normal volunteers induced facial flushing, general vasodilation and noisy stomach (borborgymi). Blood pressure and pulse rate were normal in all experiments. Plasma levels of pancreatic polypeptide, somatostatin, T3 and T4, TSH, FSH, PRL, ACTH, and GH were unchanged. However, there was some reduction of LH (Rolandi et al., 1980, Goldstein et al., 1981). The present study is an evaluation of the effects of methionine enkephalin (over a broad dose range) on all of the vital signs as well as measurements of blood level.
KeywordsPancreatic Polypeptide Facial Flushing Daily Body Weight Standing Heart Rate Comprehensive Physical Examination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- del Pozo, E., Kleinstein, J., Brun del Re R., Derrer F., and Martin-Perez, J., 1980, Failure of oxytocin and lysine-vasopressin to stimulate prolactin release in humans, Horm. Metab. Res., 12: 26.Google Scholar
- Golstein, J., Cantraine, F., Copinschi, G., L’Hermite, M., Pipeleers, D., Robyn, C., Velkeniens, B., and Vanhaelst, L., 1981, Effects of enkephalin infusion on hormonal levels in man: Inhibition of the episodic secretion of LH by methionine enkephalin, IRCS Med. Sci., 9: 218.Google Scholar
- Plotnikoff, N. P., Murgo, A. J., Miller, G. C., Corder, C. N., and Faith, R. E., 1985, Enkephalins: Immunomodulators, Fed. Proc., 44: 118.Google Scholar
- Prange, A. J. Jr., Wilson, J. C., Zara, P. P., Alltop, L, B., and Breese, G. R., 1972, Effects of thyrotropin-releasing hormone in depression, The Lancet, 2 (1): 999.Google Scholar
- Rolandi, E., Pescatore, D., Milesi, G. M., Gilberti, C., Sannia, A., and Barreca, T., 1980, Evaluation of LH, FSH, TSH, PRL, and GH secretion in patients suffering from prostatic neoplasms, Acta Endocrinol. ( Copenh ), 95: 23Google Scholar