Advanced Materials from Enzymatic Polymerization of Substituted Phenols in Ordered Templates
Enzyme-catalyzed polymerization of p-substituted phenols and aromatic amines is described. The polymers were prepared as thin films at the air-water interface of a Langmuir trough, as spherical particles at the oil-water interface of reversed micelles or as amorphous material in bulk organic solvents. Horseradish peroxidase or laccase was used to catalyze the reactions. Molecular weight and size distribution of polyphenols formed with reversed micelles or in bulk solvents could be modulated by controlling solvent properties. For example, oligomers with fairly uniform size distribution could be prepared by varying the solvent polarity, p-Alkoxyphenols with long alkyl chains could be ordered into a monolayer on a Langmuir trough, and could be subsequently polymerized using enzymes. The polymers were analyzed for their thermal, mechanical, electrical and optical properties. The application potential of the polymers in electronics/photonics is discussed.
KeywordsReversed Micelle Aqueous Subphase Langmuir Trough Bulk Solvent Enzyme Horseradish Peroxidase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akkara, J.A., Senecal, K.J., and Kaplan, D.L., 1991, Synthesis and characterization of polymers produced by horseradish peroxidase in dioxane, J. Polym. Sci., 29:1561.Google Scholar
- Akkara, J.A., Ayyagari, M., Bruno, F., Samuelson, L., John, V., Karayigitoglu, C, Tripathy, S., Marx, K.A., Rao, D., Kaplan, D.L., 1994, Biomimetic membrane and interface templates for enzyme-based polymerization reactions, Biomimetics. 2(4):331.Google Scholar
- Ayyagari, M.S., 1992, Biocatalysis in water-in-oil microemulsions: Materials and chemicals synthesis in a microstructured environment, Ph.D. Dissertation, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA.Google Scholar
- Ayyagari, M.S., Marx, K.A., Tripathy, S.K., Akkara, J.A., and Kaplan, D.L., 1995, Enzymatic polymerization of para-substituted phenols in organic media: Polymer synthesis and characterization, submitted to Macromolecules.Google Scholar
- Bruno, F.F, Akkara, J.A., Samuelson, L.A., Kaplan, D.L., Marx, K.A., and Tripathy, S.K., 1992, Method for synthesizing enzyme-catalyzed polymerized monolayer, US Patent, #5143828.Google Scholar
- John, V.T., Akkara, J.A., and Kaplan, D.L., 1994, Use of hydrate formation to control membrane mimetic systems, US Patent, # 5324436.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, C.J., Lee, Y.S., Tang, J., John, V.T., Kommareddi, N.S., Tata, M., McPherson, G.L., Akkara, J.A., and Kaplan, D.L., Supermagnetism of ferrite particles dispersed in spherical polymeric materials, IEEE Trans. Magnetics, 30(6):4954.Google Scholar