Oncologic Emergencies in Ophthalmology
The determination of an emergency condition may depend on the patient’s complaint or the clinician’s findings. Most presentations that require rapid assessment and consultation will be all too apparent because pain, visual loss, proptosis, or an unsightly growth has occurred. However, other equally urgent situations may not be as obvious to either the patient or the clinician. Thus, the diagnosis of a malignancy can be delayed. The informed clinician must be aware of the range of neoplastic disorders that require urgent consultation.
KeywordsOptic Neuritis Fibrous Dysplasia Uveal Melanoma Pituitary Apoplexy Nodular Fasciitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Walsh FB, Hoyt WF: Clinical Neuro-ophthalmology. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1969, p. 1944.Google Scholar
- 7.Jones IS, Jakobiec FA, and Nolan BT: Patient examination and introduction to orbital disease, in: Jones IS and Jakobiec FA (eds.) Diseases of the Orbit. New York, Harper and Row, 1979, p 29.Google Scholar
- 8.Burde RM, Karp JS: The efferent visual system and the orbit. Int Ophthalmol Clin 18(1):32–33, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.Peyman GA, Apple DJ, Sanders DR (eds): Intraocular Tumors. New York, Appleton-CenturyCrofts, pp 235–283, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Albert DM, Rubinstein RA, Scheie HG: Tumor metastasis to the eye. I. Incidence in 213 adult patients with generalized malignancy. Am J Ophthalmol 63: 72–73, 1967.Google Scholar
- 11.Walsh FB, Hoyt WF: Clinical Neuro-ophthalmology. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1969, pp 2097–2166.Google Scholar
- 12.Klintwork GK: The neuro-ophthalmic manifestations of transtentorial herniation, in: Smith J L (ed) Neuro-ophthalmology. St. Louis, CV Mosby, 1972, pp 113–131.Google Scholar
- 13.Glaser JS: Raeder’s paratrigeminal syndrome (painful Homer’s syndrome), in: Burde RM, Glaser JS, Hollenhorst RW, et al (eds.) Symposium on Neuro-ophthalmology. St. Louis, CV Mosby, 1976, pp 312–316.Google Scholar
- 15.Jones IS: Orbital inflammation, in: Jones IS, Jakobiec FA (eds): Diseases of the Orbit. New York, Harper and Row, 1979, pp 222–224.Google Scholar