An Analysis of the Effects of Taurine on Cellular and Extracellular Calcium Mobilization in Rabbit Ear Artery
Tonic vasoconstriction of rabbit ear artery depends mainly upon influx of extracellular Ca++ through plasmalemmal calcium channels activated by depolarization (voltage-operated channel) or by stimulation of specific receptors (receptor operated channel) (4,5,16,17,19). Taurine has been shown to be an effective antagonist of depolarization- but not norepinephrine-induced tonic vasoconstrictions in rabbit ear artery (8,9), suggesting a selective interference on the availability of the voltage operated channel. However, in vascular smooth muscle other sources of calcium are involved in excitation-contraction coupling; for example release of calcium from internal store such as sarcoplasmic reticulum (4).
KeywordsFree Medium Free Solution Perfusion Fluid Physiological Salt Solution Calcium Entry Blocker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Becattini, U., 1967, Prospettive di un nuovo farmaco nella terapia delle vasculopatie: la taurina, Sett. Med., 55:1255–1265.Google Scholar
- 5.Casteel, R., 1980, Electro-and Pharmacomechanical coupling in vascular smooth muscle, Chest, 78:150–156.Google Scholar
- 10.Glossmann, H., Ferry, D.R., Lubbecke, F., Mewes, R., and Hofmann, F., 1983, Identification of voltage operated calcium channels by binding studies: differentiation of subclasses of calcium antagonist drugs with 3H-nimodipine radioligand binding, J. Receptor Res., 3(1&2):177–190.Google Scholar
- 12.Hudgins, P.M., and Weiss, G.B., 1968, Differential effects of Ca2+ removal upon vascular smooth muscle contraction induced by norepinephrine histamine and potassium, J. Pharmacol. Expt. Ther., 159:91–97.Google Scholar
- 21.Nara, Y., Yamori, Y., and Lovenberg, W., 1978, Effect of dietary taurine on blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats, Biochem. Pharmac, 77:2689–2692.Google Scholar
- 23.Schaffer, S.W., and Kocsls, J.J., 1979, Taurine: research surges after 150 years, Am. Pharm., 19:652–654.Google Scholar