Disposal of dioxin-contaminated soil at Seveso presents a problem which remains as yet unresolved. Soil containing 250 g of dioxin lies untouched in the contaminated area designated “Zone A” as the authorities debate how to deal with the situation. Many now seem to favor the only real option open to them—burial in a deep landfill in the middle of the zone.
KeywordsEnvironmental Protection Agency Toxic Waste Phenoxyacetic Acid Love Canal Unexposed Control Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Axelrod, D. Chlorinated hydrocarbons (US Love Canal): case studies of selected area-wide environmental exposures, presented at the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Workshop on Plans for Clinical and Epidemiological Follow-Up after Area-Wide Chemical Contamination, Washington D.C. (17 March 1980).Google Scholar
- 2.Raloff, J. Disaster on 99th Street, New Scientist 86, 298–300 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.de Rosiers, P. Personal communication, March 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Love Canal: Public Health Time Bomb, A special report to the Governor and Legislature, September 1978 prepared by the Office of Public Health for the State of New York and the Governor’s Love Canal Interagency Task Force.Google Scholar
- 5.Axelrod, D. Adverse effects on target sites: reproductive injury, Presented at NAS workshop, Washington D.C. (17 March 1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Brown, M. Laying waste, Pantheon Books, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.Vianna, N. J. Adverse pregnancy outcomes—potential endpoints of human toxicity in the Love Canal (preliminary results), in Human Embryonic and Fetal Death, ed. I. H. Porter, and E. B. Hook, Academic Press, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Pilot cytogenetic study of the residents of Love Canal, New York, Biogenics Corporation, Houston, Texas (14 May 1980).Google Scholar
- 9.Hooker hunts PR man to boost sagging image, Chemical Week (June 6, 1979), p. 18.Google Scholar
- 10.Discovery of dioxin at Montague could impede accord on Hooker wastes, Chemical Week (June 6, 1979), p. 18.Google Scholar
- 11.Blumenthal, R. The New York Times, 30 June 1980.Google Scholar