Beyond Functional Decomposition in Soft Systems Methodology
The emergence and development of Soft Systems Methodology (SSM) is well known (Checkland, 1981; Checkland and Scholes, 1990) and has produced a continuing strand of research activity (see for example: Avison and Wood-Harper, 1990; Davies and Ledington, 1991; Lewis, 1994; Stowell, 1995; Wilson, 1984; Wood-Harper, Antill, and Avison, 1985). The research reported in this paper contributes to the research stream by focussing on issues arising in the modelling process within SSM and presents a new approach, termed Decision-Variable Partitioning, to this area of SSM.
KeywordsDecision Variable World View Primary Transformation Soft System Methodology Functional Decomposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avison, D. E. and Wood-Harper, A. T., 1990, Multiview: An Exploration in Information Systems Development, Blackwell: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. B., 1981, Systems Thinking, Systems Practice, Wiley: Chichester.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. B. and Scholes, J., 1990, Soft Systems Methodology in Action, Wiley: Chichester.Google Scholar
- Davies, L. J. and Ledington, P. W. J., 1991, Information in Action: Soft Systems Methodology, Macmillan: Basingstoke.Google Scholar
- DeMarco, T., 1978, Structured Analysis and System Specification, Yourdon Inc.: New York.Google Scholar
- Donaldson, J. and Ledington, P.W.J., 1996, Decision-variable partitioning: a strategy for decomposing complex problems. Working Paper, School of Information Systems and Management Science, Griffith University.Google Scholar
- Ledington, P.W.J. and Donaldson, J., 1995, The adoption and use of soft systems methodology in practice, in: Systems for the Future, (W. Hutchinson, S. Metcalf, C. Standing, M. Williams, eds.), pp. 74-83, Edith Cowan University, Perth.Google Scholar
- Lewis, P. J., 1994, Information Systems Development, Pitman: London.Google Scholar
- Stowell, F. A. (ed.), 1995, Information Systems Provision: The Contribution of Soft Systems Methodology, McGraw-Hill: London.Google Scholar
- Wilson, B., 1984, Systems, Concepts, Methodologies and Applications, Wiley: Chichester.Google Scholar
- Wood-Harper, A. T., Antill, L., and Avison, D. E., 1985, Information Systems Definition: The Multiview Approach. Blackwell: Oxford.Google Scholar