Recent experiments (Kamgar-Paris 1983, Okawa 1990) have shown that vitamin B12 (Vit. B12) has therapeutic effects on circadian rhythm sleep disorders, such as delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and non-24 hours sleep wake rhythm disorder (Non-24). Regarding the mechanisms of therapeutic action of Vit. B12 on circadian rhythms sleep wake disorders, many study consider its effects on the phase or period of circadian rhythms and on photo sensitivity. But at the present time the definite mechanisms of action are still unclear.
KeywordsSleep Onset Sleep Latency Slow Wave Sleep Sleep Parameter Delay Sleep Phase Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Honma, K., Honma, S., Kohsaka, M., Morita, N. and Fukuda, N., 1991, Does metylcobalamin (vitamin B12) increase the light sensitivity of human circadian clock?, Jpn. J. Psychiat. Neurol. 45 (1): 171–172.Google Scholar
- Home, J.A. and Schackell, B.S., 1987, Slow wave sleep elevation after body heating: Proximity to sleep and effects of aspirin, Sleep. 10 (4): 383–392.Google Scholar
- Inoue, S. and Honda, K., 1991, Sleep-promoting and temperature modulatory activities of vitamin B12 in rats, Jpn. J. Psychiatry. Neurol. 45: 943–944.Google Scholar
- Inoue, S., 1993, Sleep-promoting effects of vitamin B12, in: Sleep—wake rhythm disorders, (K. Takahasi, ed.), pp. 1–6, Intermed, Tokyo, (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Sakamoto, T., Nakazawa, Y, Utiyama, N. and Tutiyama, Y, 1993, Sleep and temperature rhythm in the elderly, Clinical Psychiatry. 35(2): 145–152. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Takahashi, K., Morita, N., Mishima, K., Kanako, M, Higuti, T., Sakamoto, K., Sasaki, M, Okawa, T., Yamadera, H., Okamoto, N., Ohta, T., Sugita, Y, Tamiya, M., Kotorii, T. and Takahashi, S., 1994, A multicenter study on sleep—wake rhythm disorders in Japan, Clinical Psychiatry. 36(3): 275–284. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Yamazaki, J., Sugishita, M., Moriya, Y, Isojima, G., Ohshima, H., Yamazaki, O., Takeda, Y, Yamauchi, T., Takeshima, M. and Takahashi, Y, 1991, The effects of vitamin B12 on the suppression of melatonin secretion under illumination, Jpn. J. Psychiat. Neurol. 45(1): 169–170.Google Scholar