Psychotherapy and Behavior Therapy
This chapter discusses the various types of psychotherapy that the intern may practice during his or her training year. It provides interns with a general overview of psychotherapy in clinical practice, and focuses on the types of psychotherapy training that may be obtained during internship. The chapter concludes with a consideration of how one chooses the most appropriate treatment for a particular patient, and a recommendation that interns expose themselves to the broadest range of training experiences possible.
KeywordsCognitive Behavior Therapy Panic Disorder Anxiety Sensitivity Panic Attack Crisis Intervention
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barlow, D. H. (1988). Anxiety and its disorders: The nature and treatment of anxiety and panic. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Budman, S., & Gurman, A. (1988). Theory and practice of brief therapy. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Craske, M. G., & Barlow, D. H. (1993). Panic disorder and agoraphobia. In D. Barlow (Ed.), Clinical handbook of psychological disorders. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- DiNardo, P., & Barlow, D. H. (1988). Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule-Revised (ADIS-R). Albany, NY: Graywind.Google Scholar
- Frances, A., Clarkin, J., & Perry, S. (1984). Differential therapeutics in psychiatry: The art and science of treatment selection. New York: Brunner/Mazel.Google Scholar
- Goldfried, M. R., & Davison, G. C. (1976). Clinical behavior therapy. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.Google Scholar
- Mahoney, M. J. (1974). Cognition and behavior modification. Cambridge: Ballinger.Google Scholar
- Marlatt, G. A., & Gordon, J. R. (Eds.) (1985). Relapse prevention: Maintenance strategies in the treatment of addictive behaviors. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Strean, H. S. (1985). Resolving resistances in psychotherapy. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Wilson, G. T., & O’Leary, K. D. (1980). Principles of behavior therapy. Englewood, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Young, J. E., Beck, A. T., & Weinberger, A. (1993). Depression. In D. H. Barlow (Ed.), Clinical handbook of psychological disorders. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar