Review of Carboplatin-Based High-Dose Chemotherapy Combinations in the Autotransplant Setting
High-dose chemotherapy is a relatively straightforward approach to overcome drug resistance. It appears to be more effective than standard chemotherapy in the salvage treatment of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphomas and of relapsing germ cell cancer. Non-randomized studies have raised hope that it might improve treatment results in (other) solid tumors as well, particularly in the adjuvant treatment of high-risk breast cancer1. Prospective, randomized studies of high-dose therapy are currently in progress, but many more will be required to define its proper role in solid tumors.
KeywordsClin Oncol Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Autologous Bone Marrow Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation Hemorrhagic Cystitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Peters WP, Ross M, Vredenburgh JJ, Meisenberg B, Marks LB, Winer E, Kurtzberg J, Bast RC Jr, Jones R, Shpall E, Wu K, Rosner G, Gilbert C, Mathias B, Coniglio D, Petros W, Henderson IC, Norton L, Weiss RB, Budman D, Hurd D. High-dose chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow support as consolidation after standard-dose adjuvant therapy for high-risk primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11: 1132–43.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Vaner Wall E, Beijnen JH, Rodenhuis S. High-dose chemotherapy regimens for solid tumors: a review. Cancer Treatm Rev 1995; in press.Google Scholar
- 7.Nichols CR, Tricot G, Williams SD, Van Besien K, Loehrer PJ, Roth BJ, Akard L, Hoffman R, Goulet R, Wolff SN, Giannone L, Greer J, Einhorn LH, Jansen J. Dose-intensive chemotherapy in refractory germ cell cancer-a phase I/II trial of high-dose carboplatin and etoposide with autologous bone marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 1989; 7: 932–9.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Nichols CR, Andersen J, Lazarus HM, Fisher H, Greer J, Stadtmauer EA, Loehrer PJ, Trump DL. High-dose carboplatin and etoposide with autologous bone marrow transplantation in refractory germ cell cancer: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Protocol. J Clin Oncol 1992; 10: 558–63.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lotz JP, Machover D, Malassagne B, Hingh B, Donsimoni R, Gumus Y, Gerota J, Lam Y, Tulliez M, Marsiglia H, Mauban S, Izrael V. Phase I-II study of two consecutive courses of high-dose epipodophyllotoxin, ifosfamide, and carboplatin with autologous bone marrow transplantation for treatment of adult patients with solid tumors. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 1860–70.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Motzer RJ, Gulati SC, Tong WP, Menendez-Botet C, Lyn P, Mazumdar M, Vlamis V, Lin S, Bosl G. Phase I trial with pharmacokinetic analyses of high-dose carboplatin, etoposide, and cyclophosphamide with autologous bone marrow transplantation in patients with refractory germ cell tumors. Cancer Res 1993; 53: 3730–35.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Antman K, Ayash L, Elias A, Wheeler C, Hunt M, Eder JP, Teicher BA, Critchlow J, Bibbo J, Schnipper LE, Frei E III. A phase II study of high-dose cyclophosphamide, thiotepa and carboplatin with autologous marrow support in women with measurable advanced breast cancer responding to standard dose therapy. J Clin Oncol 1992; 10: 102–10.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Eder JP, Antman K, Elias A, Shea TC, Teicher B, Henner WD, Schryber SM, Holden S, Finberg R, Chritchlow J, Flaherty M, Mick R, Schnipper LE, Frei E III. Cyclophosphamide and thiotepa with autologous bone marrow transplantation in patients with solid tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 1988; 80: 1221–6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ayash LJ, Elias A, Wheeler C, Reich E, Schwartz G, Mazanet R, Tepler I, Warren D, Lynch C, Gonin R, Schnipper L, Frei E III, Antman K. Double dose-intensive chemotherapy with autologous marrow and peripheral-blood progenitor-cell support for metastatic breast cancer: a feasibility study. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12: 37–44.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Van er Wall E, Nooijen WJ, Baars JW, Holtkamp MJ, Schornagel JH, Richel DJ, Rutgers EJT, Slaper-Cortenbach ICM, Van der Schoot CE, Rodenhuis S. High-dose carboplatin, thiotepa and cyclophosphamide (CTC) with peripheral blood stem cell support in the adjuvant therapy of high-risk breast cancer: a practical approach. Br J Cancer 1995; in press.Google Scholar
- 20.Rodenhuis, Van der Wall E, Ten Bokkel Huinink WW, Schornagel JH, Richel DJ, Vlasveld LT. Pilot study of a high-dose carboplatin-based salvage strategy for relapsing or refractory germ cell cancer. Cancer Invest 1995; in press.Google Scholar