Magnocellular Preoptic Nucleus, the Basal Magnocellular Complex, and the Basal Ganglia
In the set of large neurones extending from the medial septum to the caudal end of the corpus striatum, the basal magnocellular complex (Divac, 1975), a central place is occupied by the basal nucleus of Meynert (nBM). In many animals, the assembly of magnocellular neurons in the same topographic region has been labelled as magnocellular preoptic nucleus (MCPO) by Loo (1931), nucleus of the diagonal band (Johnston, 1923) or of its horizontal limb (DBh) by Price (1969), Zaborsky et al (1986) and others.
KeywordsOlfactory Bulb Basal Forebrain Piriform Cortex Medial Forebrain Bundle Olfactory Tubercle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Emmers, R. and Akert, K., 1963. A Stereotaxic Atlas of the Brain of the Squirrel Monkey (Saimuru sciureus). Univ. Wis. Press, Madison.Google Scholar
- Mesulam, M.-M., Mufson, E.J., Levey, A.I. and Wainer, B.H., 1983. Cholinergic innervation of cortex by the basal forebrain: cytochemistry and cortical connections of the septal area, diagonal band nuclei, nucleus basalis (substantia innominata), and hypothalamus in the rhesus monkey. J.Comp.Neurol. 2114: 170–197.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mesulam,.-M., Mufson, E.J., Levey, A.I. and Wainer, B.H., 1984. Atlas of cholinergic neurons in the forebrain and upper brainstem of the macaque based on monoclonal choline acetyltransferase immunohisto-chemistry and acetylcholinesterase histochemistry. Neuroscience 12: 669–686.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mesulam, M.-M., Mufson, E.J. and Wainer, B.H., 1986. Three-dimensional representation and cortical projection topography of the nucleus basalis (CH4) in the macaque: concurrent demonstration of choline acetyltransferase and retrograde transport with a stabilized tetramethylbenzidine method for horseradish peroxidase. Brain Res. 367: 301–308.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Price, J.L. and Powell, T.P.S., 1970. The afferent connections of the nucleus of the horizontal limb of the diagonal band. J. Anat.(Lond.) 107: 239–256.Google Scholar
- Rye, D.B., Wainer, B.H., Mesulam, M.-M., Mufson, EJ. and Saper, C.B., 1984. Cortical projections arising from the basal forebrain: A study of cholinergic and non-cholinergic components employing combined retrograde tracing and immunohistochemical localization of choline acetyltransferase. Neuroscience 13: 627–643.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shepherd, G.M., 1994. Neurobiology, 3rd ed., Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 667–669.Google Scholar
- Swanson, L.W., 1992. Brain Maps. Structure of the Rat Brain. Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 199.Google Scholar