High-Affinity Taurine Uptake and Its Regulation by Protein Kinase C in Human Glioma Cells
In high-resolution 1H NMR spectroscopy, malignant glioma tissues are shown to include higher concentration of taurine than normal brain tissues do. Although it is well known that mouse astrocyte18, rat astrocyte5 and glioma cells12 have a high-affinity uptake system for taurine, little is known about such transport in human glioma cells.
KeywordsGlioma Cell U373 Cell Phorbol Ester Human Glioma Cell Taurine Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Couldwell, W.T., Antel, J.P., and Yong, V.W. 1992, Protein kinase C activity correlates with the growth rate of malignant gliomas: Part II. Effects of gioma mitogens and modulators of protein kinase C,? 31:717–724.Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, D.P., Miller, L.A., Dowling, C., and Chesney, R.W. 1991, Regulation of taurine transporter activity in LLC-PK1 cells: role of protein synthesis and protein kinase C activation, J.Am.Soc.Nephrol. 2:1021–1029.Google Scholar
- 9.Kraft, A.S., Anderson, W.B., Cooper, H.L., and Sando, J.J. 1982, Decrease in cytosolic calcium/phospholipid-dependent protein kinase activity following phorbol ester treatment of EL4 thymoma cells, J.Biol.Chem. 257:13193–13196.Google Scholar
- 10.Kulanthaivel, P., Cool, D.R., Ramamoorthy, S., Mahesh, V.B., Leibach, F.H., and Ganapathy, V. 1991, Transport of taurine and its regulation by protein kinase C in the JAR human placental choriocarcinoma cell line, Biochem.J. 277:53–58.Google Scholar
- 12.Martin, D.L. and Shain, W. 1979, High affinity transport of taurine and β-alanine and low affinity transport of τ-aminobutyric acid by a single transport system in cultured glioma cells, J.Biol.Chem. 254:7076–7084.Google Scholar
- 14.Nakamura, H., Huang, S.H., and Takakura, K. 1993, Phorbol ester increases the efflux of endogenous taurine from C6 glioma cells, Neurochem.Res. 18:851Google Scholar
- 19.Smith, K.E., Borden, L.A., Wang, C.-H.D., Hartig, PR., Branchek, T.A., and Weinshank, R.L. 1992, Cloning and expression of a high affinity taurine transporter from rat brain, Mol.Pharmacol. 42:563–569.Google Scholar