Heterocyclic Alkylphospholipids with an Improved Therapeutic Range
Hexadecylphosphocholine (INN: Miltefosine) is the prototype of a new class of antitumor phospholipids. Its specificially formulated solution (Miltex®) is an approved drug in Germany and has become a valuable tool in the treatment of cutaneous breast cancer and other malignant lesions (1). The systemic treatment with an oral miltefosine formulation was, however, relatively toxic to the GI-tract. Therefore, the drug could not be adequately dosed and in initial clinical studies the overall response rates remained low (2).
KeywordsInitial Clinical Study Choline Moiety Cumulative Weight Loss Gene Activation Differentiation Oral Maintenance Dose
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burk, K., David, M., Junge, K., Sindermann, H. Overview on the clinical development of miltefosine solu-tion (Miltex) for the treatment of cutaneous breast cancer. Drugs of Today 30, (Suppl. B): 59–72, 1994Google Scholar
- 2.Verweij, J., Gandia, D., Planting, A.S.Th., Stoter, G., Armand, J.P. Phase II study of oral miltefosine in patients with squamous cell head and neck cancer. Eur. J. Cancer 29A, 778–779, 1993Google Scholar
- 3.Stekar, J., Hilgard, P., Klenner, T., Noessner, G., Schumacher, W. A second generation of alkylphospholipids with high antineoplastic activity. Proc. Amer. Ass. Cancer Res. 34: 335 (Abstr. 1996), 1993Google Scholar
- 4.Stekar, J., Hilgard, P., Voegeli, R., Maurer, R., Engel, J., Kutscher, B., Noessner, G., Schumacher, W. Antineoplastic activity and tolerability of a novel heterocyclic alkylphospholipid, D-20133. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 32: 437 1444, 1993Google Scholar
- 5.Spruss, T., Bernhardt, G., Reile, H., Schönenberger, H., Engel, J. Combination therapy with platinum complexes and hexadecylphosphocholine of MXT mouse mammary adenocarcinomas. (Abstr. TH10), J. Cancer Res. Clin. Oncol. 115: 55, 1989Google Scholar
- 6.Beckers, T., Voegeli, R. Molecular targets of miltefosine. Drugs of Today 30 (Suppl. B): 5–12, 1994Google Scholar