The Effect of Nutritional Supplementation on Stroke Mortality and Blood Pressure
Stroke disease is the second leading cause of death in Linxian, a county in north central China with one of the world’s highest rates of esophageal/gastric cardia cancer (1). The determinants of stroke in Linxian and other parts of China are not well known, but dietary factors, including low vitamin and mineral intake, may be involved. In the mid-1980’s two randomized trials were launched to test whether vitamin and mineral supplementation in this nutritionally deficient population would be effective in lowering cancer risks. Information on all deaths, including those from stroke, was ascertained. Measurements of blood pressure were taken prior to and at the end of the interventions. We have previously examined the effects of the interventions on stroke and hypertension (2, 3). In this paper we analyze the data from these trials in a uniform manner and evaluate the influence of the interventions and other pre-treatment factors such as sex and alcohol intake on stroke mortality and on hypertension.
KeywordsHomocysteine Level Stroke Mortality Sodium Selenate Diastolic Hypertension Baseline Risk Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.J. Blot and J. Y. Li, Natl Cancer Inst. Monogr. 69, 29–34 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.S.D. Mark, W. Wang, J.F. Fraumeni, J.Y. Li, P.R. Taylor, G.Q. Wang, W Guo, S.M. Dawsey, B. Li and W.J. Blot, Am. J. Epidemiol. (In Press).Google Scholar
- 3.S.D. Mark, W. Wang, J.F. Fraumeni, J.Y. Li, P.R. Taylor, G.Q. Wang, W. Guo, S.M. Dawsey, B. Li and W.J. Blot, Am. J. Epidemiol. (Submitted).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Zanchetti, J. Chalmers, K. Arakawa, et al, Bull. World Health. Organ. 71, 503–517 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.D.R. Cox, J. R. Stat. Soc. B 34, 187–220 (1972).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Agresti, Categorical Data Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1990).Google Scholar
- 11.A.G. Ershow, S.F. Zheng, G. Li, J. Li, C.S. Yang and W.J. Blot, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 73, 1477–1481 (1984).Google Scholar
- 12.C.S. Yang, YH. Sun, Q.P. Yang, K.W. Miller, G.Y. Li, S.F. Zheng, J.Y. Li and W.J. Blot, Natl. Cancer Inst. Monogr. 69, 23–27 (1985).Google Scholar
- 13.C.S. Yang, Y. Sun, Q.U. Yang, K.W. Miller, G.Y. Li, S.F. Zheng, A.G. Ershow, W.J. Blot and J.Y Li, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 73, 1449–1453 (1984).Google Scholar
- 14.W.J. Blot, J.Y. Li, P.R. Taylor, W. Guo, S.M. Dawsey and Li, B., Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 62, 1424s–1426s (1995).Google Scholar
- 15.K. Dakshinamurti and K.J. Lal, World Rev. Nutr. Diet. 69, 40–73 (1992).Google Scholar