OFDM with Diversity and Coding for High-Bit-Rate Mobile Data Applications
- 74 Downloads
In this paper, we describe a technique for achieving reliable, high-speed (1–2 Mbps) multimedia wireless access for mobile users, for example, for a wide-area cellular Internet service. Current wireless data systems either provide high bit rates over short distances, usually in-building (for example, WaveLAN), or cover a wide area with bit rates of 10–20 kbps (for example, RAM Mobile, ARDIS, CDPD). Several systems have been proposed for achieving higher rates in a microcellular environment (for example, UMTS ). However, the desire to provide these high peak data rates with wide-area coverage is particularly challenging.
KeywordsDelay Spread Word Error Rate Intersymbol Interference Doppler Rate Differential Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Special issue on the European path toward UMTS, IEEE Pers. Commun. Mag.,Vol. 2, No. 1, February 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.J. C.-I. Chuang, The effects of time delay spread on portable radio communications channels with digital modulation, IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. SAC-5, No. 5, June 1987, pp. 879–889.Google Scholar
- 3.S. B. Weinstein and P. M. Ebert, Data transmission by frequency-division multiplexing using the discrete fourier transform, IEEE Trans. Commun. Technol., Vol. COM-19, No. 5, October 1971, pp. 628–634.Google Scholar
- 4.L. J. Cimini, Jr., Analysis and simulation of a digital mobile channel using orthogonalGoogle Scholar
- frequency division multiplexing, IEEE Trans. on Commun.,Vol. COM-33, No. 7, July 1985, pp. 665–675.Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. C. Bingham, Multicarrier modulation for data transmission: an idea whose time has come, IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 28, No. 5, May 1990, pp. 5–14.Google Scholar
- 6.See recent sessions at VTC’95, PIMRC’95,and VTC’96.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Sakakura, W. Huang, and M. Nakagawa, Pre-diversity using coding, multicarrier and multi-antennas, Proc. ofICUPC’95,pp. 605–609.Google Scholar
- 8.L. J. Cimini, Jr., B. Daneshrad, and N. R. Sollenberger, Clustered OFDM with transmitter diversity and coding, Proc. of Globecom’96,pp. 703–707.Google Scholar