Bandwidth Allocation for VBR Video in Wireless ATM Links
- 66 Downloads
This paper presents a medium access level VBR bandwidth allocation scheme for wireless ATM (WATM) networks. After introducing a wireless ATM system model and the associated dynamic TDMA/TDD medium access control (MAC) scheme, an algorithm for VBR slot allocation is proposed. The algorithm combines information from User Parameter Control (UPC) at the call admission control (CAC) level with rapid MAC level estimates of the requirements for each VBR virtual circuit (VC). The method described is applicable to both conventional VBR and recently proposed VBR+ in which UPC parameters are dynamically renegotiated as source bit rate requirements vary. Simulation experiments using statistically multiplexed MPEG-1 video are carried out for a typical 25Mbps dynamic TDMA/TDD wireless ATM access link scenario. Experimental results show that, for the VBR video under consideration, the proposed scheme can achieve throughputs in the range of 60–70% while maintaining reasonable QoS.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Call Admission Control Slot Allocation Virtual Circuit Medium Access Control Frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Raychaudhuri and N. D. Wilson, “ATM-based transport architecture for multi-services wireless personal communication networks”, in IEEE JSAC, Vol. 12, No. 8, October 1994.Google Scholar
- R. Yuan, S. K. Biswas and D. Raychaudhuri, “A Signaling and Control Architecture for Mobility Support in Wireless ATM Networks”, in Proc. ICC’96, Dallas, June 1996.Google Scholar
- H. Xie, P. Narasimhan, R. Yuan, and D. Raychaudhuri, “Data Link Protocols for Wireless ATM Access Channels”, in Proc. ICUPC’95, Tokyo, Japan, November 1995.Google Scholar
- F. Kishino, et. al., “Variable bitrate coding of video signals for ATM networks”, IEEE JSAC, SAC-7 No 5, June 1989.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri, D. Reininger and R. Siracusa, “Video Transport in ATM Networks: A Systems View”, to appear Multimedia Systems Journal ACM-Springer.Google Scholar
- D. Reininger, G. Ramamurthy and D. Raychaudhuri, “VBR MPEG Coding with Dynamic Bandwidth Renegotiation”, in Proc. ICC’95, Seattle WA, June 1995.Google Scholar
- S. K. Biswas and B. Sengupta, “Call Admissibility for Multirate Traffic in Wireless ATM Networks”, in Proc. INFOCOM’97, Kobe, Japan, April 1997.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri, L. J. French, R. J. Siracusa, S. K. Biswas, R. Yuan, P. Narasimhan and C. Johnston “WATMnet: A Prototype Wireless ATM System for Multimedia Personal Communication”, in Proc. ICC’96, Dallas, June 1996.Google Scholar
- M. Krunz, R. Sass and H. Hughes, “Statistical Characteristics and Multiplexing of MPEG Streams”, in Proc. INFOCOM’95, Boston, April 1995.Google Scholar
- W. Matragi, C. Bisdikian and K. Sohraby, “Jitter Calculus in ATM Networks: Single Node Case”, in Proc. INFOCOM’94, Toronto, June 1994.Google Scholar
- [ll]M. Nilsson, “Network Adaptation Layer Support for variable Bit Rate Video Services”, in Proc. 7th International Workshop on Packet Video, Brisbane, Australia, March 1996.Google Scholar