Mobile Middleware: Additional Functionalities to Cover Wireless Terminals
The main goal of middleware is to offer applications an interface that allows a common view on underlying heterogeneous networks and operating systems. Especially the merging of fixed and wireless networks requires well-defined components of the middleware that cover services which permit applications co-ordinated use of network and operating system resources. Regarding wireless networks it is necessary to take into consideration the variety of possible mobile terminals which are designed according to different requirements. This paper focuses on the architecture of Mobile Middleware and highlights the required services taking into account different terminal characteristics that are going to be used in the future UMTS.
KeywordsShort Message Service Mobile Terminal Universal Mobile Telecommunication System General Packet Radio Service Mobility Gateway
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Reichert et al.: The ON THE MOVE Project. 4th International Conference on Broadband Islands 95, Dublin, September 1995.Google Scholar
- OnTheMove homepage: http://www.sics.se/~onthemoveGoogle Scholar
- ACTS homepage: http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/SONAH/Acts/PRtit.htmlGoogle Scholar
- IBC Common Functional Specification (Issue E): Mobile Communication: UMTS radio aspects. Specification RACED734, December 94.Google Scholar
- O. Spaniol, A. Fasbender, S. Hoff, J. Kaltwasser, J. Kassubek: Wireless Networks and OSI: New Challenges for Protocol Stack Design. Applied Microwave & Wireless, Spring 1996.Google Scholar
- James P. G. Sterbenz, Henning G. Schulzrinne, Joseph D. Touch: Report and Discussion on the IEEE ComSoc TCGN Gigabit Networking Workshop 1995. IEEE Network, July/August 1995.Google Scholar
- C. Popien, G. Schürmann, K.-H. Weiß: Distributed processing in open systems (in German). B.G. Teubner Stuttgart, 1996.Google Scholar
- T. Magedanz: Intelligent Agents - State of the Art and Potential Application Areas in Future Telecommunications. High Speed Networks and Open Distributed Platforms, St. Petersburg 1995Google Scholar
- J. Meggers, A.S. Park, R. Ludwig: Roaming between GSM and WLAN. ACTS Mobile Telecommunications Summit, 1996Google Scholar