Comparison of Multicast Flow Control Algorithms over Combined Wireless/Wired Networks
- 66 Downloads
A multipoint flow control framework for data traffic traversing both a wired and wireless network is proposed in this paper. Markov Modulated Fluid (MMF) on-off models are used for the receivers to capture the dynamics of the wireless communication links. Three ad hoc flow control strategies have been compared using simulation. These include a Listen to Slowest Request (LSQ) algorithm, a Source Estimation (SE) algorithm, and an Open Loop control algorithm. The algorithms are evaluated based on the delay-throughput characteristics. Trade-offs among the performance, buffer requirement and feedback overhead have been investigated.
KeywordsPropagation Delay Buffer Size Delay Difference Source Estimation Multicast Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Schwartz, Network management and control issues in multimedia wireless networks, IEEE Personal Communications, 8:16, June, (1995).Google Scholar
- 2.J. C. Lin and S. Paul, RMTP: A reliable multicast transport protocol, Proceedings ofINFOCO M’96, 1414:1424, San Francisco, CA, USA, March, (1996).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Cavendish, S. Mascolo and M. Gerla, Rate based congestion control for multicast ABR traffic, Proceedings o fGLO BECO M’ 96, 1114: 1118, London, Britain, November, (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Armstrong, A. Freier and K. Marzullo, Multicast transport protocol, RFC 1301, Xerox, Apple, Cornell University, February, (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Braudes and S. Zabele, Requirements for multicast protocols, RFC 1458, TASC, May, (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Lee, Performance bounds in communication networks with variable-rate links, Proceedings o fSIGCO MM’ 95, 126: 136, Cambridge, MA, USA, (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. T. Wang and B. Sengupta, Performance analysis of a feedback congestion control policy under nonnegligible propagation delay, Proceedings o fACM SIGCO MM, 149: 157, (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.W. C. Y. Lee, Mobile Communications Design Fundamentals, Howard W. Sams & Co., (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Wang and M. Schwartz, Performance analysis of multicast flow control algorithms over combined wireless/wired Networks, Proceedings o fINFO CO M’97, Japan, April, (1997).Google Scholar