Modification by Taurine of the Metabolism and Hypothermic Effect of Ethanol in the Rat
Taurine is a β-aminosulfonic acid which occurs ubiquitously both among animal species and in animal tissues12. Although the role of taurine in the conjugation of bile acids is well established, this compound has also demonstrated a myriad of nonmetabolic actions which are exerted throughout the animal body, notably in the heart, brain, reproductive system, muscle and eye8.
KeywordsTaste Aversion ALDH Activity Ethanol Metabolism Blood Ethanol Concentration Hypothermic Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Huxtable, R.J. and Sebring, L.A., 1986, Towards a unifying theory for the actions of taurine, Trends Pharmacol. Sci., 481-485.Google Scholar
- 10.Iida, S. and Hisada, Y., 1974, Effect of taurine and other amino acids on the depressant effects of ethanol in mice, Jpn. J. Pharmacol. (Suppl.), 24:91.Google Scholar
- 11.Iida, H. and Hikichi, M., 1976, Effect of taurine on ethanol-induced sleeping time in mice, J. Stud. Alcoh., 37:19–26.Google Scholar
- 13.Jacobsen, J.G. and Smith, L.H., Jr., 1968, Biochemistry and physiology of taurine and taurine derivatives, Pharmacol Rev., 48:424–511.Google Scholar
- 14.Kuriyama, K., 1990, Taurine as a neuromodulator, Fed. Proc., 39:2680–2684.Google Scholar
- 15.Lau-Cam, C., Theofanopoulos, V., Thadikonda, K.P., and DeNicola, M., 1992, Effect of fructose on the hypothermic effect to ethanol in the rat, Res. Commun Subst. Abuse, 13:203–217.Google Scholar
- 20.Nakano, N., 1991, Influence of diazepam and taurine on ethanol-induced sedation in man, Jpn. J. Physiol. (Suppl.), 40:67P.Google Scholar
- 24.Theofanopoulos, V. and Lau-Cam, C., 1996, Modification of ethanol metabolism by taurine and its impact on ethanol-induced hypothermia in the rat, Pharm. Res. (Suppl.), 13: S–493.Google Scholar
- 30.Watanabe, A., Hobara, N., Kobayashi, M., and Nagashima, H., 1985, Effect of taurine on blood acetaldehyde elevation following alcohol ingestion, Res. Commun. Subst. Abuse, 6:247–250.Google Scholar