Soliton Generation in Infinite and Half-Infinite Molecular Chains
It is shown that the presence or the absence of a soliton excitation threshold and the threshold values depends on the character of the excitation distribution at the initial time. A study is made of the time evolution of an excitation given at the initial moment as a hyperbolic secant, a rectangular step, and a decreasing exponential, for an infinite chain. A mechanism for generating solitons by exciting the impurity molecules is considered.
KeywordsNonlinearity Parameter Infinite Chain Excitation Transfer Initial Excitation Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.C. Eilbeck, Davydov soliton, 16mm mute film available from Swift Film Productions, 1 Wood Road, Wimbledon, London SW DHN, Great Britain.Google Scholar
- L.S. Brizhik, The time evolution of the nonlinear Schrödinger equation solutions, Prepr. ITP-81-134R, Kiev (1981).Google Scholar
- A.S. Davydov, Solitons in molecular systems, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Boston, Lancaster (1987).Google Scholar
- V.E. Zakharov and A.B. Shabat, The exact theory of two-dimensional focusing and one-dimensional automodulation of waves in nonlinear systems, Zh. Eksper. Teor. Fiz. (Russ) 61; 118 (1971).Google Scholar
- L.S. Brizhik, “The excitation and interactions of solitons, including extra fields”, Cand. Thesis, Kiev (1984).Google Scholar