This paper begins by outlining a framework for Interactive Management (IM). Here, IM is described as a methodology that enables the work of participant groups to become more productive when attempting to tackle complex issues of management and planning. This is followed by a consideration of IM in practice viewed from three perspectives. This includes an analysis of the activities involved in a complete IM intervention. Finally, the way in which IM attempts to tackle the situational, cognitive and pluralistic aspects of complexity is examined.
KeywordsInteractive Management Cognitive Complexity Interpretive Structural Modelling Nominal Group Technique Collective Inquiry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackoff, R.L., 1981, “Creating the Corporate Future”, John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Christakis, A.N., 1983, “Planning, design, and implementation: the sigma five strategy”, paper presented at the Cairo Conference on Planning and Implementation Strategies for Alleviating Congestion, Cairo, April 17, 1983.Google Scholar
- Christakis, A.N., 1984, Management of complexity: the interactive approach, in Continuing the Process, Newsletter, Graduate School, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, 1(4), 1–2.Google Scholar
- Handy, C.B., 1985, On the workings of groups, in: “Understanding Organizations”, Penguin, London.Google Scholar
- Wainwright, G.R., 1987, “Meetings and Committee Procedure”, Hodder and Stoughton, London.Google Scholar
- Warfield, J.N., 1976, “Societal Systems: Planning, Policy and Complexity”, John Wiley & Sons, New York (Reprinted, Salinas, California: Intersystems, 1989).Google Scholar
- Warfield, J.N., 1982, Organisations and systems learning, General Systems. 27, pp 5–74.Google Scholar
- Warfield, J.N., 1984, Principles of interactive management, in: “Proceedings International Conference on Cybernetics and Society”, IEEE, January, 1984, New York, pp746-750.Google Scholar
- Warfield, J.N., 1990, “A Science of Generic Design: Managing Complexity Through Systems Design”, Intersystems Publications, Salinas, California (2nd edition, Iowa State University Press, 1994).Google Scholar
- Warfield, J.N., and Cárdenas, A.R., 1994, “A Handbook of Interactive Management”, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.Google Scholar