Exchange interactions in magnetic surfaces and layer structures
The temperature dependence of the local magnetization in the spin-wave regime is discussed and it is shown that it can be used as a sensitive probe of local exchange interactions in magnetic surfaces and overlayers. The present status of the theory of oscillatory exchange interactions through transition and noble metal spacers is briefly reviewed. The quantum well theory of interlayer exchange interactions in magnetic multilayers is described and its application is illustrated for Co/Cu (001) trilayer. The relationship between oscillations in the exchange coupling and recently observed oscillations in the photoemission intensity in magnetic multilayers is explained within the framework of the quantum well theory.
KeywordsSpectral Density Spin Wave Exchange Coupling Atomic Plane Magnetic Multilayers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.N. Baibich, J.M. Broto, A. Fert, F. Nguyen Van Dau, F. Petroff, P. Etiene, G. Creuset, A. Friederich and J. Chazelas, Phys. Rev. Lett. 21:272 (1988).Google Scholar
- R. Coehoorn, M.T. Johnson, W. Folkerts, S.T. Purcell, N.W.E. McGee, A. De Vierman, and P.J.H. Bloemen, Magnetism and Structure in Systems of reduced dimension, Ed. by R.F.C. Farrow et al., Plenum Press, N.Y. (1993).Google Scholar
- P. Grunberg, S. Demokritov, A. Fuss, R. Schreiber, J.A. Wolf, and S.T. Purcell, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 104–107: 1734 (1992).Google Scholar
- R. Feder (ed.), Polarized Electrons in Surface Physics, World Scientific, Singapore (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Siegmann, D. Mauri, D. Scholl and E. Kay, J. Phys. (Paris) 49: C8–9(1988).Google Scholar
- G.T. Rado, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 2: 127 (1957);Google Scholar
- M. Landolt, in: Polarized Electrons in Surface Physics (ed. by R. Feder), World Scientific, Singapore (1985).Google Scholar
- A.A. Abrikosov, Introduction to the Theory of Normal Metals, Academic Press, New York (1972).Google Scholar
- D.A. Papaconstantopoulos, Handbook of the Band Structure of Elemental Solids (Plenum Press, New York, 1986);Google Scholar
- [37a]V.L. Moruzzi, J.F. Janak, and A.R. Williams, Calculated Electronic Properties of Metals (Pergamon Press, Oxford 1978).Google Scholar
- J. Mathon, M.A. Villeret, R.B. Muniz, and D.M. Edwards (to be published).Google Scholar