Spin Polarized Electrons of Low Energy And Magnetism 1994
The spin of the electron and its leading rôle in establishing the phenomenon of magnetism became a clear concept in the course of the development of quantum mechanics in the first half of our century. In the second half, one was concerned to what extent quantum theory could explain solid state phenomena, and the main focus was the development of electron spectroscopy on solids and their surfaces. The analysis of the spin polarization of the electrons makes it possible to distinguish spin up from spin down states in the solid even when they are degenerate in energy. Therefore, spin polarized electron spectroscopy became a major topic in magnetism and generated the new field of surface and two-dimensional magnetism1,2. Recently, the following discoveries as well as realisations of older ideas have produced a wealth of new opportunities for basic research and applications of magnetism.
KeywordsSpin Polarization Ferromagnetic Layer Spin Moment Transport Polarization Spin Filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Proc. of the Workshop on Photocathodes for Polarized Electron Sources for Accelerators, 1993, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford, Ca.Google Scholar
- 6.C.H. Back, C. Wiirsch, D. Pescia, to be publ. in Z. Physik Condens. MatterGoogle Scholar
- 10.R. Coehorn, Europhys. News 24 (1993) 43Google Scholar
- 20.G. Schönhense and H.C. Siegmann, Ann. Phys. 2 (1993) 498 and ref.Google Scholar
- 22.J.C. Gröbli, D. Guarisco, S. Frank, and F. Meier, to appear in Phys. Rev. B, 1994Google Scholar
- 23.Y. Lasailly, H.-J. Drouhin, A.J. van der Sluijs, G. Lampel, and C. Marlière, Poster Session this meeting and preprintGoogle Scholar
- 25.F. Sirotti, G. Panaccione, and G. Rossi, subm. to J. de PhysiqueGoogle Scholar
- 29.J.C. Gröbli, A. Kündig, F. Meier, and H.C. Siegmann, to appear in Physica BGoogle Scholar
- 31.O.M. Paul, Diss. ETH Zürich Nr. 9210, 1990Google Scholar
- 34.P. Fuchs, K. Totland, and M. Landolt, to be published, and K. Totland, Diss. ETH Nr. 10481, Zürich 1994Google Scholar