Cystic Fibrosis in Adults
A 21-year-old white female college student was referred for evaluation of an elevated sweat chloride test. She had been having chronic cough for the past two years, which had gradually increased in severity, and chronic sinus congestion for which she had been seeing an allergist. On further questioning, it was apparent that she had suffered from frequent cough and lingering colds over much of her life. Treatment prior to referral consisted of hyposensitization shots over the previous two years. At the initiation of her therapy, she had normal x-ray and pulmonary function tests. Treatment prior to referral had included the intermittent use of Rondec TR, Vancenase, a Proventil inhaler, and intermittent antibiotics. Just prior to referral her allergist obtained a sweat chloride test because of her poor response to therapy. This was elevated and she was referred for further evaluation and treatment.
KeywordsCystic Fibrosis Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Rectal Prolapse Pancreatic Insufficiency Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Boat T: Cystic fibrosis, in Murray J, Nadel J (eds): Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1988, pp 1126–1152.Google Scholar
- 19.Schwachman H, Kulczycki L: Long term study of one-hundred five patients with cystic fibrosis. J Dis Child. 1958;96:6–15.Google Scholar
- 20.Biller J, Grand R: Pancreatic disorders in childhood, in Sleisenger M, Fordtran J (cds): Gastrointestinal Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management, ed 4. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1988, pp 1789–1813.Google Scholar
- 26.Scanlin TF, in: Fishman AP (ed): Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, ed 2. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1988, pp 1273–1294.Google Scholar
- 29.Cynamon HA, Milou DE, Valenstein E, et al: Effect of vitamin E deficiency on neurologic function in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr. 1988;113:636–640.Google Scholar
- 31.Strandvik B: Antibiotic therapy of pulmonary infections in cystic fibrosis: Dosage schedules and duration of treatment. Chest. 1988;95(Suppl 2):146S–149S.Google Scholar
- 37.Gotz M, Burghuber O, Salzer-Muhar U, et al: Cor pulmonale in cystic fibrosis. JR Soc Med. 1989;82C (Suppl 16):26–31.Google Scholar