Diagnosis and Management of Thyrotoxicosis
A 54-year-old housewife was seen in consultation at the Ohio State University Thyroid Clinic because of weight loss. Twelve years previously, she had experienced substantial weight loss and other symptoms that had been attributed to Graves’ disease which was treated with 131I resulting in prompt resolution of her symptoms. She remained well until four months prior to her present consultation when she was hospitalized for pneumonia from which she recovered quickly; nonetheless, since having pneumonia she had lost 25 pounds despite having a good appetite. In addition, she had recently been developing symptoms of easy fatigability, palpitations, nervousness, heat intolerance, muscle weakness, and hair loss.
KeywordsThyroid Hormone Antithyroid Drug Struma Ovarii Diffuse Goiter Radioactive Iodine Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ingbar SH: Thyrotoxicosis: Classification and manifestations, in Ingbar SH, Braverman LE (eds): Werner’s The Thyroid: A Fundamental and Clinical Text, ed 5. Philadelphia, JB Lippincott Co., 1986, pp 809–810.Google Scholar
- 4.McKenzie JM, Zakarija M: Hyperthyroidism, in: DeGroot LJ (ed): Endocrinology, ed 2. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1989, pp 846–682.Google Scholar
- 5.Mazzaferri EL: The thyroid, Mazzaferri EL (ed): Textbook of Endocrinology ed 3. New York, Medical Examination Publishing, 1986, pp 89–350.Google Scholar
- 10.Hay ID, Klee GG: Thyroid dysfunction. Endocrinol Clin North Am. 1988;17:473–509.Google Scholar
- 11.de los Santos ET, Mazzaferri EL: Sensitive thyroid stimulating hormone assays: Clinical applications and limitations. Compr Ther. 1988;14(9):26–33.Google Scholar
- 15.Refetoff S: Thyroid function tests and effects of drugs on thyroid function, in DeGroot LJ (ed): Endocrinology, ed 2. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1989 pp 590–639.Google Scholar
- 24.Kamel N, Upsala AR, Kologlu S, et al: Sodium ipodate in the treatment of toxic diffuse goiter. Short-term or long-term effects on thyrotoxicosis. Rom J Med. 1988;26:99–105.Google Scholar
- 26.Orgiazzi J: Management of Graves’ hyperthyroidism. Endocrinol Clin North Am. 1987;16:365–389.Google Scholar