The use of computers to intermediate and facilitate human interaction increased in the last years. CSCW (Computer-Supported Cooperative Work) is an emergent research area that examine how computers can assist several people working together. To support group interaction it is necessary to considerate collaboration (that includes information sharing), communication between members of a. group and coordination of their cooperative activities.
This paper presents a Cooperative Environment (ASTRO) being developed at Federal University of Pernambuco — Brazil, which is based on a simplified cooperation model. ASTRO can assist to not only a specific activity (e. g. CAD) but also to a wide range of cooperative work applications.
KeywordsCommunication Manager User Class Object Version Work Session Individual Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Aguiar 92]Aguiar, C. A. T. & Salgado, A. C., “An Environment to Support Cooperative Work”, XVIII Latin American Informatics Conference, Spain, 1992 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- [Castro 91]Castro, L. S. & Drummond, R., “Sistrac: Cooperative Work Support System”, Master Thesis, DCC-Unicamp, Brazil, 1991 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- [Chou 86]Chou, H. T. & Kim, W., “A Unifying Framework for Versions in a CAD Environment”, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on VLDB, Kyoto, Japan, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Ellis 91]Ellis. C.A., Gibbs, S.J. & Rein, G.L., “Groupware: Some Issues and Experiences”, Communications of the ACM, Vol 34, Number 1, J January 1991.Google Scholar
- [Gibbs 89]Gibbs, S.J. “LIZA: An Extensible Groupware Toolkit”, CHI’89 Proceedings, Austin, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Greif 88]Greif, I. & Savin, S., “Data Sharing in Group Work’’, Computer-Supported Cooperative Work: A book of Readings”, Edited by Irene Greif, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Grudin 88]Grudin, J., “Why CSCW Applications Fail: problems in the Design and Evaluation of Organizational Interfaces”, Proceedings of the Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, Portland, Oregon, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Grudin 91]Grudin, J., “CSCW: Introduction”, Communications of the ACM, Vol 34, Number 12, December 1991.Google Scholar
- [Käfer 90]Käfer, W., “A Framework for version-based Cooperation Control”, Research Report, Universität Kaiserlautern, Germany, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Iochpe 91]Iochpe, C. et al., “Cooperation Support in a CAD Environment”, Technical Report, CPGCC-UFRGS, Brazil, 1991 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- [Nodine 90]Nodine, M.H. et al., “Cooperative Transaction Hierarchies”, Technical Report, no. CS-90-03, Brown University, USA, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Santos 92]Santos, Afra M. B. M., “Object version Management in a Data Base Environment: Analysis and Proposal”, Master Thesis, DI-UFPE, Brazil, 1992 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar