Lasers Without Photons
The concept of lasers without inversion introduced some time ago by my colleague Steve Harris (1989) has not only added to his fame but spawned a world-wide industry, as evidenced by other papers in this volume. It seems appropriate, therefore, to consider the complementary concept of “lasers without photons”. Lasers without photons are of course easy to obtain: a laser which fails to operate is evidently a laser without photons. There can be a more serious interpretation of the phrase, however, and it is this interpretation that provides the title for this manuscript.
KeywordsQuantum Noise Excess Noise Laser Oscillator Biorthogonal System Simple Harmonic Oscillator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng, Y-J, P. L. Mussche and A. E. Siegman: “Measurement of laser quantum frequency fluctuations using a Pound-Drever stabilization system,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-30, 1498 (June 1994).Google Scholar
- Deutsch, I. H., J. C. Garrison and E. M. Wright: “Excess noise in gain-guided amplifiers,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 8 1244 (June 1991).Google Scholar
- Dirac, P. A. M., The Principles of Quantum Mechanics, Fourth Edition (Oxford University Press, 1958 ).Google Scholar
- Harris, S. E. E., “Lasers without inversion: interference of lifetime-broadened resonances,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 62, 1033–1036 (27 February 1989 ).Google Scholar
- Haus, H. A., and S. Kawakami: “On the ”excess spontaneous emission factor“ in gain-guided laser amplifiers,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-21, 63 (1985).Google Scholar
- Lamb, W. E., Jr, Jr., “Anti-photon,” Appl. Phys. B (Lasers and Optics) 60, 77–84 (February-March 1995 ).Google Scholar
- Mussche, P., Excess Quantum Linewidth in Lasers with Nonorthogonal Eigenmodes, Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University (1995).Google Scholar
- Paxton, A. M., R. B. Michie and D. Mitrovich, “Feedback from an amplifier into an unstable resonator”, in Laser Resonators and Coherent Optics: Modeling, Technology, and Applications; Proc. SPIE 1868, 127 (January 1993) edited by A. Bhowmik. Petermann, K., “Calculated spontaneous emission factor for double-heterostructure injection lasers with gain-induced waveguiding,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-15, 566 (July 1979).Google Scholar
- Sargent, M., III, M. O. Scully and W. E. Lamb, Jr., Laser Physics (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1972 ).Google Scholar
- Siegman, A. E. E., “Excess spontaneous emission in non-hermitian optical systems. I. Laser amplifiers” and “II. Laser oscillators,” Phys. Rev. A 39, 1253–1263 and 1264–1268 (1 February 1989 ).Google Scholar
- Siegman, A. E., P. L. Mussche and J-L. Doumont, “Excess spontaneous emission factor in variable-reflectivity-mirror lasers,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-25, 1960–1967 (August 1989).Google Scholar
- Siegman, A. E. E., “Lasers without photons - or should it be lasers with too many photons,” Appl. Phys. B 60, 247–257 (February/March 1995 ).Google Scholar