Experimental Observation of Coherent Continuous-Pulsetrain Soliton Solutions to the Maxwell-Bloch Equations
Coherent propagation of pulse trains through a two-level absorber has been investigated, from a theoretical view point, by many researchers. These investigations have been based on the self-induced transparency1 (SIT) equations with2–5 and without6 the assumption of zero relaxation. While these theoretical studies have been very thorough, few if any corresponding experimental studies have been reported. In this paper, we report the experimental observation of pulse-train solutions to the SIT equations. It is shown via experiment that an input pulse train, with a rather arbitrary input envelope shape, evolves through interaction with a two-level absorber to an analytic, shape-preserving, pulse-train solution to the SIT equations. The electric field envelope functions for the predicted analytical solutions are given by
where k, ℓ, and τ are constants with k being the modulus of the Jacobi elliptic function. The full range of solutions is obtainable by taking 0≤k2≤ℓ2≤ 1.
KeywordsPulse Train Optical Pulse Jacobi Elliptic Function Atomic Energy Level Level Degeneracy
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 2.M.D. Crisp, Distortionless propagation of light through an optical medium, Phys. Rev. Letters 22: 820Google Scholar
- 3.S.L. McCall and E.L. Hahn, Self-induced transparency, Phys. Rev. 183: 457 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.J.H. Eberly, Optical pulse and pulse-train propagation in a resonant medium, Phys. Rev. Letters 22: 720Google Scholar
- 5.M.A. Newbold and G.J. Salamo, Effects of relaxation on coherent continuous-pulse-train propagation, Phys. Rev. Letters 42: 887 (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.D. Dialetis, Propagation of electromagnetic radiation through a resonant medium, Phys. Rev. A 2: 1065Google Scholar
- 7.L. Matulic and J.H. Eberly, Analytic study of pulse chirping in self-induced transparency, Phys. Rev. A 6: 822 (1972).Google Scholar
- 5.L. Matulic and J.H. Eberly, Analytic study of pulse chirping in self-induced transparency, Phys. Rev. A 6: 822 (1972).Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1996