Some Observations on Sexual Reproduction in Tubularia
Observations of the sexual reproduction of the hydroid Tubularia have been made over a period of several years in connection with my work on animal sperm chemotaxis prior to fertilization. What follows is a summary of my findings, in an attempt to add this data to the published literature on an organism which has been used almost solely for studies of asexual reproduction (Rose, 1974).
KeywordsSexual Reproduction Mature Sperm Dark Mass Sperm Chemotaxis Miller Figure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berrill, M. J. 1961 Growth, Development and Pattern. Freeman, San Francisco Figs 7-9, p. 207.Google Scholar
- Geens, M., M. James and G. G. Holz, Jr. 1966 Destruction of the male gonophores of Tubularia larynx by a hymenostome ciliate of the genus Paranophrys. Biol. Bull. 131; 391.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. L. and Brokaw, C. J. 1970 Chemotactic turning behaviour of Tubularia spermatozoa. J. Exp. Biol 52: 609–706.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. L. and O’Rand, M. G. 1974 Utilization of chemical specificity during fertilization in the hydrozoa. In: The Functional Anatomy of the Spermatozoon. Edit. by B. Afzelius. Pergamon, New York pp 15–26.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. L. and Tseng, C. 1974 Properties and partial purification of the sperm attractant of Tubularia. Amer. Zool. 14: 467–486.Google Scholar
- Rose, S. M. 1974 Bioelectric control of regeneration in Tubularia. Amer. Zool. 14: 797–803.Google Scholar