In recent years a number of different techniques have been developed to fuse cells of various origin in order to obtain hybrids with qualities different from each of the original cells. In many cases, one wants to fuse large numbers of cells (e.g., to generate hybridomas), and fusion occurs more or less randomly (e.g., Köhler and Milstein, 1975). With other methods, individual cells have been fused under controlled conditions (e.g., McGrath and Solter, 1984). So far a prerequisite for fusing two preselected cells has been that they must be isolated away from other cells.
KeywordsCell Fusion Nematode Caenorhabditis Elegans Laser Microbeam Fast Repetition Rate Broad Contact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berns, M. W., 1976, Biological Microirradiation, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Chitwood, B. G., and Chitwood, M. B., 1974, Introduction to NematologY., University Park Press, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Davidson, E. H., 1976, Gene Activity in Early Development, 2nd ed., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hochstrasser, R. M., and Johnson, C. K., 1985, Lasers in biology, Laser Focus/ElectroOpt. 21:100–118.Google Scholar
- Pataki, A., Meier-Ruge, W., Wiederhold, K. H., and Remy, E., 1978, The laser micro beam as a tool for tissue sampling in biochemistry, Laser ElektroOptik 1:14–16.Google Scholar
- Salmon, E. D., Saxton, W. M., Leslie, R. J., Karow, M. L., and Mcintosh, J. R., 1984, Diffusion coefficient of fluorescein-labeled tubulin in the cytoplasm of embryonic cells of a sea urchin: Video image analysis of fluorescence redistribution after photobleaching, J. Cell Biol. 99:2157–2164.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schierenberg, E., 1982, Development of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, in: Developmental Biology of Freshwater Invertebrates (F. W. Harrison and R. R. Cowden, eds.), pp. 249–281, Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- White, J. G., and Horvitz, H. R., 1979, Laser microbeam techniques in biological research, Electro-Opt. Syst. Design August:23–24.Google Scholar
- Wood, W. B., Schierenberg, E., and Strome, S., 1984, Localization and determination in early embryos of Caenorhabditis elegans, in: Molecular Biology of Development (E. H. Davidson and R. A. Firtel, eds.), pp. 37–49, Liss., New York.Google Scholar