Risk as Diagnosis
For an anthropologist it is a great challenge to discuss the concept Quality of Life in relation to health. In this paper I will present some of my thoughts on the subject that hopefully will provide ideas for fruitful discussion.
KeywordsGenetic Screening Hereditary Cancer Karolinska Institute Consultation Service Future Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sachs, L. and Tishelman, C. Between Sickness and Health, an interdisciplinary exploration of secondary prevention of cancer and the fluctuating meaning of health.(Unpublished research proposal) 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.Gifford, S.M. The meaning of lumps: a case study of the ambiguities of risk. In C.R. Janes et al eds. Anthropology and Epidemiology, D.Reidel Publishing Co pp 1986; 213–246.Google Scholar
- 4.Adelswärd, V. and Sachs, L. The meaning of 6,8: numeracy and normality in health information talks. Social Science and Medicine (in press) 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Kleinman, A., Eisenberg, L. and Good. B. Culture, illness and care: clinical lessons from anthropologic and cross-cultural research. Annals Intern. Med.I978; 88: 25l - 258.Google Scholar
- 6.Young, A. The anthropologies of illness and sickness. Ann. Rev. Anthropol. 1982; 257–285.Google Scholar