Synthesis of a Water-Soluble o-Carborane Bearing Uracil Moiety Via Palladium Catalyzed Reaction under Essentially Neutral Conditions
Although the icosahedral boron cluster, dodecaboranethiol (1), has been used clinically1 as a boron carrier for boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT), we still need to enhance the efficiency and selectivity of boron uptake by cancer cells. Therefore, a number of synthetic studies of boron carriers2~7 containing the similar cluster, o-carborane (2) have been recently reported (Figure 1).
KeywordsBoron Neutron Capture Therapy Boron Uptake Methyl Chloroformate Allyl Carbonate Cascade Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Hatanaka, K. Sano, and H. Yasukochi, “Progress in Neutron Capture Therapy for Cancer,” B. J. Allen, D. E. Moore, B. V. Harrington ed., Plenum Press, New York, 1992, pp. 561–568.; M. F. Hawthorne, The role of chemistry in the development of boron neutron capture therapy of cancer, Angew. Chem. Internat. Ed. Engl. 32: 950–984 (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Yamamoto, T. Seko, H. Nakamura, H. Nemoto, H. Hojo, N. Mukai and Y. Hashimoto, Synthesis of carboranes containing nucleoside bases. Unexpectedly high cytostatic and cytocidal toxicity toward cancer cells, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., 157- (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.S. B. Kahl, and M.-S. Koo, Synthesis of tetrakiscarborane-carboxylate esters of 2,4- bis(a,ßdihydroxyethyl)-deuteroporphyrin IX, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun.,1769–1771 (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Takagaki, Y. Oda, Z. H. Zhen and H. Kikuchi (Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University), Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Nemoto, J. G. Wilson, H. Nakamura and Y. Yamamoto, Polyols of a cascade type as a water-solubilizing element of carborane derivatives for boron neutron capture therapy, J. Org. Chem., 57: 435–435 (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Nemoto, F-G. Rong and Y. Yamamoto, The first alkylation of o-carboranes under essentially neutral conditions. Application to the synthesis of 10B carriers, J. Org. Chem.,55:6065- (1990). The previous allylation of carboranes was carried out with those having an electron withdrawing group at the carbon terminus.Google Scholar
- 12.The simple allylation of o-carboranes proceeded very well at room temperature.10 Google Scholar
- 13.Preparation of 8 R. F. Schinazi and W. H. Prusoff, Synthesis of 5-(dihydroxyboryl)-2’- deoxyuridine and related boron-containing pyrimidines, J. Org. Chem.,50:841–847 (1985).Google Scholar