Normal Tissue Tolerance and Fractionation Effects in Dogs of Boron Neutron Capture Irradiation with Borocaptate Sodium (BSH)
In conventional external beam radiation therapy of intracranial high grade gliomas the dose that can be delivered to the tumor is limited by the tolerance of adjacent normal brain. Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) theoretically allows the selective delivery of high linear energy transfer (LET) radiation to brain tumors while at the same time sparing surrounding normal brain tissue.
KeywordsLinear Energy Transfer Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Relative Biological Effectiveness Epithermal Neutron Magnetic Resonance Imaging Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H.B. Liu, R.M. Brugger, D.D. Greenberg, D.C. Rorer,.1.-P. I lu, H.M. Hauptman, Enhancement of the epithermal neutron beam used for boron neutron capture therapy. Mt..1. Radial. Oncnl. Biol. Pln’s. 28: 1149–1156; 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.J.R. Fike and G.T. Gobbet, Central nervous system radiation injury in large annual models, in: “Radiation Injury to the Nervous System,” P.H Gutin, S.A. Leibel, G.E. Sheline, eds., Raven Press, New York, 1991, pp. 113–135.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Huiskamp, P. R. Gavin, J. A. Coderre, K. II. I. Philipp, and F..1. Wheeler, Brain tolerance in dogs to boron neutron capture therapy with borocaptate sodium (BSH) or boronophenylalanine, in:(these proceedings).Google Scholar
- 5.K.H.I. Philipp, P.R. Gavin, J. Casado, A. Siefert, R.L. Moss, R. Huiskamp, Developments in the healthy tissue tolerance studies as a precondition for clinical application of boron neutron capture therapy. in: “Advances in Neutron Capture Therapy,” A.H. Soloway, R.F. Barth, D.E. Carpenter, eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1993, pp. 571–574.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.A.Rodriguez, R.P. Levy, J.I. Fabrikant, Experimental central nervous system injury after charged-particle irradiation. in: “Radiation Injury to the Nervous System,” P.H. Gutin, S.A. Leibel, G.E. Sheline, eds., Raven Press, New York, 1991, pp. 149–182.Google Scholar
- 7.S.L. Kraft, P.R. Gavin, C.E. DeHaan, C.W. Leathers, W.F. Bauer, D.1.. Miller, R.V. Dorn Ill, Borocaptate sodium: A potential boron delivery compound for boron neutron capture therapy evaluated in dogs with spontaneous intracranial tumors. Proc. Natl..acad. Sci., 89: 11973–11977, 1992.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar