Factors Affecting the Bacterial Activity of Saccharides and Polysaccharides Modified Through Reaction with Organostannanes
The biological activities of tin-containing materials derived from numerous saccharides and polysaccharides is discussed. Emphasis is placed on bacterial results. In general, inhibition is only secondarily dependent on the percentage of organostannane incorporation. Inhibition follows the general inhibition order for alkyl-substitution where general activity decreases as the length of the alkyl chain increases. Finally, general activity is dependent on the nature of the saccharide.
KeywordsAlkyl Chain Length Disc Assay Alkyl Chain Increase Affect Cell Membrane Carboxymethyl Dextran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Schuerch, in: “Bioactive Polymeric Systems,” C. Gebelein and C. Carraher, Eds., Plenum, NY, 1985, Chapter 14.Google Scholar
- 2.“The Pharmacological Base of Therapeutics,” L. S. Goodman and A. Gilman, Eds., Macmillian, NY, 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Carraher, Y. Naoshima, C. Butler, V. Foster, D. Gill, M. Williams, D. Giron and P. Mykytiuk, PMSE, 57, 186 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.C. Carraher, J. Schroeder, C. McNeely, D. Giron and J. Workman, Organic Coatings and Plastics Chemistry, 40, 560 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Naoshima, H. Shudo, M. Uenishi and C. Carraher, PMSE, 58, 553 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.C. Carraher, Cr. Giron, J. Schroeder and C. McNeely, U. S. Patent 4,312, 981 (Jan. 1982).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Carraher, P. Mykytiuk, H. Blaxall, D. R. Cerutis, R. Linville, D. Giron, T. Tiernan and S. Coldiron, Organic Coatings and Plastics Chemistry, 45, 564 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Naoshima, H. Shudo, M. Uenishi and C. Carraher, J. Poly,. Mater., 8, 51 (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Carraher and C. Butler, U. S. Patent 5,043, 463 (Aug. 1991).Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Naoshima, H. Shudo, M. Uenishi and C. Carraher, J. Polymeric Materials, 8, 51 (1991).Google Scholar
- 13.M. J. Selwyn, in: “Chemistry of Tin,” P. Harrison, Ed., Chapman and Hall, NY, 1989.Google Scholar