The Nature of the Crosslinking Matrix Found in Dental Composite Filling Materials and Sealants
Since their introduction, composite resin filling materials have replaced direct filling resins and the silicate cements as the materials of choice for anterior restorations where aesthetics are of the primary importance. These materials have met with wide acceptance in spite of several performance shortcomings. It has been reported that many of the commercial composite resin materials exhibit some leakage at the margins of the restoration (1–4) and gross surface disintegration (5). Many investigators have attempted to trace these problems to some basic properties of the system, such as water sorption and polymerization shrinkage (6). Due to the complex nature of this system, the results of these investigations have not been conclusive.
KeywordsWater Sorption Glycol Dimethacrylate Ethylene Glycol Dimethacrylate Polymerization Shrinkage Triethylene Glycol Dimethacrylate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Galan, J. Mondelli and J. L. Coradazzi, J. Dent. Res., 55 (1), 74 (1975)Google Scholar
- 2.R. L. Bowen, J. Amer. Dent. Assoc., 74, 439 (1967)Google Scholar
- 3.E. Asmussen, Acta Odont. Scand., 33, 337 (1975)Google Scholar
- 4.E. A. Peterson, R. W. Phillips and M. L. Schwartz, J. Amer. Dent. Assoc., 73, 1324 (1966)Google Scholar
- 5.N. W. Rupp, J. Dent. Res., 58 (5) 1551Google Scholar
- 7.E. Asmussen, Acta Odont. Scand., 33, 129 (1975)Google Scholar
- 9.G. F. Cowperthwaite, M. A. Malloy and J. J. Foy, Int. Assoc. Dent. Res., 1979 Meeting Paper 598Google Scholar
- 10.ASTM Method D542–50Google Scholar
- 11.ASTM Method D792–66Google Scholar
- 13.Z. S. Belokon, A. Ye. Skorobogatova, N. Ya. Gribkova, S. A. Arzhakov, N. F. Bakeyev, P. V. Kozolov and V. A. Kabanov, Vysokomol. Soyed., A18 1772 (1976)Google Scholar
- 16.W. J. O’Brien, Presentation at Conference on Current Status of Composite Restorative Materials and Sealants, Univ. of Michigan, October, 1979Google Scholar