Atomic Scale Imaging of Minerals with the Atomic Force Microscope
We present in this paper the surface structure of minerals like mica, calcite and aragonite observed with the atomic force microscope (AFM). Surface images at atomic resolution on mica and calcite were achieved but it was not possible for us to achieve atomic resolution on aragonite crystals. We believe this is due to the poor cleavage in aragonite. Results of an experiment performed on mica to find the variability in the measurement of atomic distances are also presented. In the case of calcite (Iceland spar), we provide an analysis of the surface atomic structure on the (1011) perfect cleavage as observed with the AFM and compare it with X-ray diffraction data.
KeywordsAtomic Force Microscopy Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Cleavage Plane Atomic Resolution Atomic Force Microscopy Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. F. Hochella, C. M. Eggleston, V.B. Ehlings, and M.S. Thompson, Atomic structure and morphology of the albite  surface: An atomic force microcopy and electron diffraction study. American Mineralogist, 75: 723–730 (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.B. Drake, and R. Hellman, Atomic force microscopy imaging of the albite (010) surface, American Mineralogist, 76: 1773–1776 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.P.A. Johnsson, C.M. Eggleston, M.F. Hochella, Jr. Imaging molecular scale structure and microtopography of hematite with the atomic force microscope. American Mineralogist, 76: 14421445 (1991).Google Scholar
- 7.F.J. Wicks, K. Kjoller, G.S. Henderson, Imaging the hydroxyl surface of Lizardite at atomic resolution with the atomic force microscope, Canadian Mineralogist, 30: 83–91 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Lindgreen, J. Garnaes, P.L. Hansen, F. Besenbacher, E. Laegsgaard, I. Stensgaard, S.A.C. Gould, and P.K Hansma, Ultrafine particles of North Sea illite/smectite clay minerals investigated by STM and AFM, American Mineralogist, 76, 1218–1222 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.A.L. Rachlin, G.S. Henderson, and M.C. Goh, An atomic force microscope (AFM) study of the calcite cleavage place: Image averaging in Fourier space. American Mineralogist, 77: 904–910 (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.W.L. Bragg, G.F. Claringbull, and W.H. Taylor, “The Crystalline State, vol. III Crystalline Structure of Minerals,” Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York (1965).Google Scholar