Orders and Families of Ascosporogenous Yeasts and Yeast-Like Taxa Compared from Ribosomal RNA Sequence Similarities
Extent of divergence in partial nucleotide sequences from large and small subunit ribosomal RNAs was used to assess the placement of genera among families and orders of ascosporogenous yeasts and yeast-like fungi. These data indicate the taxa comprise two orders: the Schizosaccharomycetales (genus Schizosaccharomyces) and the Saccharomycetales (Endomycetales; all genera of yeasts and yeast-like fungi except the fission yeasts). The data also suggest that certain currently accepted families are artificial. Furthermore, the rRNA sequence comparisons indicate that the ascosporogenous yeasts are not reduced forms of extant filamentous fungi.
KeywordsDebaryomyces Hansenii Ascomycetous Yeast Filamentous Ascomycete Partial rRNA Sequence rRNA Sequence Comparison
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- von Arx, J.A., and J.P. van der Walt, 1987, Ophiostomatales and Endomycetales, Studies in Mycology, Baarn 30: 167–176.Google Scholar
- Bamett, J.A., R.W. Payne, and D. Yarrow, 1990, Yeasts: Characteristics and Identification. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Bruns, T.D., R. Vilgalys, S.M. Barns, D. Gonzalez, D.S. Hibbett, D.J. Lane, L. Simon, S. Stickel, T.M. Szaro, W.G. Weisburg, and M.L. Sogin, 1992, Evolutionary relationships within the fungi: analyses of nuclear small subunit rRNA sequences, Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 1: 231–241.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gaudet, J., J. Julien, J.F. Lafey, and Y. Brygoo, 1989, Phylogeny of some Fusarium species, as determined by large subunit rRNA sequence comparison. Molecular Biology and Evolution 6: 227–242.Google Scholar
- Guilliermond, A., 1912, Les Levures. O. Doin et Fils, Paris.Google Scholar
- Hendriks, L., A. Goris, Y. van de Peer, J.-M. Neefs, M. Vancanneyt, K. Kersters, J-F. Berny, G.L. Hennebert, and R. De Wächter, 1992, Phylogenetic relationships among ascomycetes and ascomycete-like yeasts as deduced from small ribosomal subunit RNA sequences, Systematic and Applied Microbiology 15: 98–104.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kreger-van Rij, N.J.W., 1984, Systems of classification of the yeasts. In: The Yeasts — A Taxonomic Study (N.J.W. Kreger-van Rij, ed.): 2–13. 3rd edn. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Rubtsov, P.M., M.M. Musakhanov, V.M. Zakharyev, A.S. Krayev, K.G. Skryabin, and A.A. Bayev, 1980, The complete structure of yeast ribosomal RNA genes. I. The complete nucleotide sequence of the 18S ribosomal RNA gene from Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Nucleic Acids Research 8: 5779–5794.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swofford, D.L., 1991, PAUP: Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony, 3.0s. Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Wickerham, L.J., 1951, Taxonomy of yeasts, United States Department of Agriculture Technical Bulletin 1029: 1–56.Google Scholar