Theory-Driven Design Research
In the computer industry, it is commonly assumed that breakthroughs in interface design are, and will be, largely a matter of intuition, possibly aided by some loose empirical observations in the manner of rapid prototyping. (“Many of the great breakthroughs of science and invention were the result of intuitive leaps,” Tagnazzini in Herot, 1987). In this view, there is not much useful that cognitive scientists can do for advancing the development of the technology--the most that can be hoped for is some evaluation of other peoples’ designs.
KeywordsDesign Space Interface Design Leverage Point Virtual Memory Composition Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bannon, L., Cypher, A., Greenspaan, S., aand Monty, M. L., 1983, Evaluation and analysis of users’ activity organization, transcript of talk delivered at the ACM CHI ‘83 Human Factors in Software Conference, SanFrancisco, December, 198 ).Google Scholar
- Bell, G., 1988, Another member of the supercomputer faimily-the graphics supercomputer, lecture at Stanford University, September 8, 1988.Google Scholar
- Card, S. K., Moran, T. P., and Newell, A., 1983, “The Psychology of Human-Computer Interaction,” Hillsdale, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Card, S. K., and Henderson, A., Jr., 1987, A multiple, virutal-workspace interface to support user task switching, in: “Proceeding of CHI ‘87 Human Factors in Computing Systems ”; 53–59, ACM, New York.Google Scholar
- Henderson, A., Jr and Card, S. K., 1987, The use of multiple virtual workspaces to reduce space contention in a window-based graphical user interface, ACM Transactions on Graphics.Google Scholar
- Herot, C. F., 1987, Where do user interfaces come from, SIGGRAPH Conference Proceedings reprinted in Computer Graphics 21 (4): 321–324.Google Scholar
- Rouse, W. and Cody, W., This Volume. Sanders, A., 1983, in: “Attention and Performance X”., Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Woods, D, Roth, and Hanes, L.,, 1986. Technical Report. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Westinghouse Corp.Google Scholar
- Ziman, J., 1976, “The Force of Knowledge,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar