Association between Silica Exposure and Necrotizing Crescentic Glomerulonephritis with p-ANCA and anti-MPO Antibodies: A Hospital-Based Case-Control Study
A hospital-based case-control study was carried out to investigate the association between ANCA positive rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis (RPGN) and occupational exposure to silica dust. All ANCA positive male patients admitted to the Department of Nephrology of the University of Brescia between 1987 and 1992 were enrolled in the study as cases. The controls were pts of the same age, admitted at the Department immediately before or after the cases, affected by other renal diseases. Seven of the 16 cases and one of the 32 controls, had a positive history for jobs exposing to silica dust (relative risk 14; 95% C.I.: 1.7 – 113.8, p<0.001). ANCA pattern was p-ANCA with anti-MPO antibodies in 6/7 of exposed pts. The review of renal histology showed a distinctive glomerular lesion consisting in peripheral nodular areas of glomerular sclerosis, in addition to the crescentic necrotizing glomerulonephritis, in 3/6 silica exposed pts, but in none of the unexposed pts.
KeywordsCrescentic Glomerulonephritis Rapidly Progressive Glomerulonephritis Silica Dust Conditional Maximum Likelihood Silica Exposure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3).Perez Perez, A.J., Sobrado, J., Cigarran, S. et alii, 1986, Vasculitis renal, hemorragfia pulmonar diffusa y silicosis. Analisis de dos casos, Med Clin (Bare), 7: 858–860.Google Scholar
- 4).Pourrat, J.P., Mignon-Conte, M.A., Sevely,J. et alii, 1981, Rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis in silicotic patients: (1) report of two cases; (2) demonstration of silicon in spherocrystalline deposits in kidney biopsies; (3) efficacy of plasma exchange therapy, 8th International congress of nephrology (CN 097 Abstract) Athens.Google Scholar
- 5).Osorio, A.M., Thun, M.J., Novak R.F. et alii, 1987, Silica and glomerulonephritis: case report and review of the literature, Am. J. Kidney Dis. IX: 224–230.Google Scholar
- 6).Saita, G, Zavaglia, 0., 1951, La funzionalità renale nei silicotici, Med.Lav 42: 41–48.Google Scholar
- 7).Kolev, K., Doitschinov, D., Todorov, D., 1970, Morphologic alterations in the kidneys by silicosis, Med. Lay. 61: 205–210.Google Scholar
- 9).Sitara, D., Hoffbrand, B.I., 1990, Chronic bronchial suppuration and antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody ( ANCA) positive systemic vasculitis, Postgrad. Med. J. 66: 669–671.Google Scholar
- 10).Chevailler, A., Subra, J.F., Renier, G. et alii, 1991, Anti - myeloperoxidase antibodies and silicosis with renal involvement: new association or coincidental event? Am. J. Kidney Dis., XVIII: 213.Google Scholar