Increased Expression of CD 25 and Adhesion Molecules on Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes of Patients with Wegener’s Granulomatosis (WG) and ANCA Positive Vasculitides
Peripheral blood lymphocytes of 29 c-ANCA positive WG patients fulfilling the ACR classification criteria were examined for the expression of various leukocyte surface molecules by dual marker cytofluorometry (FACStar, Becton Dickinson). Activation markers such as CD25, HLA-DR, CD29 and adhesion molecules (ICAM-1 and LFA-3) were clearly elevated in this group in comparison to 40 healthy volunteers. Similar results were obtained for p-ANCA positives vasculitides (n=13) and, unexpectedly, also for patients suffering from cholesteatoma, a chronic, bacterial infection of the middle ear (n=21). The results are discussed in view of a pathogenic model for WG and vasculitic disorders.
KeywordsPeripheral Blood Lymphocyte Lysosomal Enzyme Common Variable Immunodeficiency Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Autoantibody Vasculitic Disorder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Schmitt W.H., Heesen C., Rautmann A., and Gross W.L., “Determination of soluble interleukin-2 receptor (sIl-2R) in Wegener’s Granulomatosis (WG): Indicator of T-cell activation”, (abstract) XXIInd Meeting of the Society of ImmunologyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Petersen J., Rasmussen N., Szirpt W., Hermann E., Mayet W., Hoier-Madsen M., and Wiik A., 1990, “T-Lymphocyte proliferation to neutrophil cytoplasmic antigen(s) in Wegener’s Granulomatosis ( WG)” (abstract ), Clin Rheumatol 9: 577Google Scholar
- 6.Baumert E., Wolff-Vorbeck G., Schlesier M., and Peter H.H., 1992, “Immunophenotypical alteration in a subset of patients with immunodeficiency (CVID)”, Clin.Exp.Immunol (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Hadam M.R., 1985, “Flow Cytometry and Surface-Marker Phenotyping Using Monoclonal Antibodies: A Combined Approach to Precisely Define the State of the Immune System”, Karger, Basel: 120–146Google Scholar
- 8.van der Woude F.J., Labotto S., Wiik A., van der Giessen M., Rassmussen N., van Es L.A., van der Hem G.K., and The T.H., 1985, “Autoantibodies against neutrophils and monocytes: tool for diagnosis and a marker of disease activity in Wegener’s granulomatosis”, Lancet, 425Google Scholar