Frontal Dysfunction and Memory Deficit in Depression and Parkinson’s Disease
Cognitive and memory impairment is a frequent finding in patients with Parkinson’s disease (PD) (Taylor et al., 1986; Growdon and Corkin, 1986) and in depression (Sternberg and Jarvik, 1976; Wertman et al., 1993). Heterogeneity of memory dysfunction in different neurological illnesses has recently raised interest. The impaired memory in the PD patients has been suggested to be an indication of mild frontal lobe dysfuntion (Taylor et al., 1986). In positron emission tomography, depression in PD has been associated with hypometabolism in the inferior frontal lobe and the caudate nucleus (Mayberg et al., 1990). Structural changes in the caudate nucleus and white matter in magnetic resonance imaging have been associated with late age onset depression (Figiel et al., 1990). Despite similar memory dysfunction, the underlying cognitive processes contributing to dysfunction may differ. We, therefore, examined working memory, learning ability, and retrieval from semantic memory and their relationship to frontal dysfunctions in PD patients, in depressive patients and in controls.
KeywordsSemantic Memory Digit Span Wisconsin Card Sorting Test Significant Group Effect Frontal Lobe Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association, 1980, Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 3rd ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.Google Scholar
- Figiel, G.S., Krishnan, R.R., Doraiswamy, P.M., Rao, V.P., Nemeroff, C.B., and Boyko, O.B., 1990, Subcortical hyperintensities on brain magnetic resonance imaging: a comparison between late age onset and early onset elderly depressed subjects. Neurobiol. Aging 26: 245–247.Google Scholar
- Growdon, J.H., and Corkin, S., 1986, Cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease, Adv Neurol. 45: 383–392.Google Scholar
- Reitan, R.M., 1958, Validity of the Trail making test as an indicator of organic brain damage, Percept. Mot. Skills 8: 271–276.Google Scholar
- Wechsler, D., 1981, WAIS-R Manual, New York, Psychological Corporation.Google Scholar
- Wellman, E., Speedie, L., Shemesh, Z., Gilon, D., Raphael, M., Stessman, J., 1993, Cognitive disturbances in Parkinsonian patients with depression, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology Behay. Neurol. 6: 31–37.Google Scholar