A Mathematical Analysis of Kinetics of Consecutive, Competitive Reactions of Protein Amino Groups
A general mathematical analysis of consecutive, competitive reactions of amino groups in amino acids, peptides, and proteins was developed. The analysis is of more than theoretical interest, and should prove useful for interpretation of the reactivity and utility of reagents that modify lysine in proteins.
KeywordsDMSO Cysteine Adduct Lysine Iodide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cavins, J. F., and Friedman, M. (1967). New amino acids derived from reactions ofe-amino groups in proteins with a,13-unsaturated compounds. Biochemistry, 6, 3766–3770.Google Scholar
- 2.Finley, J. W., and Friedman, M. (1973). Chemical methods for available lysine. Cereal Chem., 50, 101–105.Google Scholar
- 4.Friedman, M. (1968). Solvent effects in reactions of protein functional groups. Quarterly Reports on Sulfur Chemistry, 3, 125–144.Google Scholar
- 5.Friedman, M. (1977). Effects of lysine modification on chemical, physical, nutritive, and functional properties of proteins. In “Fundamental Aspects of Protein Chemistry Basic to Foods,” edited by J. R. Whitaker and S. R. Tannenbaum. Avi, Westport, Connecticut.Google Scholar
- 7.Friedman M., and Finley, J. W. (1975b). Vinyl compounds as reagents for available lysine. In “Protein Nutritional Quality of Foods and Feeds,” Part 1, M. Friedman (Editor), Dekker, New York, pp. 503–520.Google Scholar
- 8.Friedman, M., and Koenig, N. H. (1971). Effect of dimethyl sulfoxide on chemical and physical properties of wool. Textile Res. J., 41, 605–609.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M., and Romersberger, J. S. (1968). Relative influences of electron-withdrawing functional groups on basicities of amino acid derivatives. J. Org. Chem., 33, 154–157.Google Scholar
- 11.Friedman, M., Cavins, J. F., and Wall, J. S. (1965). Relative nucleophilic reactivities of amino groups and mercaptide ions in addition reactions with a, (3-unsaturated compounds. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 87, 3572–3682.Google Scholar
- 12.Koenig, N. H., Muir, M. W., and Friedman, M. (1973). Properties of wool modified with vinyl compounds. Textile Res. J., 43, 682–688.Google Scholar
- 15.Szabo, Z. G. (1969). Kinetic characterization of complex reaction systems. In “Chemical Kinetics,” Chapter 1, C. H. Bamford and C. F. H. Tipper (Editors), Elsevier, Amsterdam, Holland.Google Scholar