Neutral Particle Measurements and Searches with the E864 Spectrometer
We present preliminary results from measurements of neutral particles and a search for neutral strangelets in Au+Pb collisions with the E864 spectrometer at the Brookhaven Alternating Gradient Synchrotron. A brief historical survey of searches for strangelets is presented in the first section. The E864 apparatus is described in the second section with a particular emphasis on the hadronic calorimeter. Results concerning the performance of the E864 hadronic calorimeter as well as results relevant for the search for heavy neutral objects are presented in the third section. Conclusions and an outlook are given in the last section.
KeywordsHadronic Calorimeter Shower Size E864 Spectrometer Strange Matter Straw Tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.W. Llope et al.,in these proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 3.E. Witten, Phys.Rev.D30 (1984)272.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Greiner et al. Phys.Rev. D38 (1988) 2797.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Greiner et al. Phys.Rev.D44 (1991)3817.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Dover et al.,Phys.Rev.C44 (1991) 1905.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Barrette et al.Phys. Lett. B252 (1990) 550.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Harridas et al.,submitted to Nucl. Instr. and Meth.Google Scholar
- 10.S. J. Bennett ei al., Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Calorimetry and High Energy Physics, BNL, H. A. Gordon, D. Rueger Eds, World Scientific (1994) 361.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Acosta et al.,Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A294 (1990) 193.Google Scholar